WinSCP 5.9.x unable to logon remote hosts - 5.7.7 works fine

Advertisement

mokaz

WinSCP 5.9.x unable to logon remote hosts - 5.7.7 works fine

Hi there,

For unknown reasons i can't get on remote hosts with latest WinSCP builds.
I've analyzed the traffic with Wire-shark and all seems okay although WinSCP just states "Connecting to host..." forever.

Could you maybe pass me a debug version to see what's going on? as stated the 5.7.7 works, will try now with 5.8.4 RC and after that with a 5.9 release.

Thanks,
Regards,
M.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: WinSCP 5.9.x unable to logon remote hosts - 5.7.7 works fine

Please attach a complete session log file using both 5.7.7 and 5.9.2.

To generate the session log file, enable logging, log in to your server and do the operation and only the operation that causes the error. Submit the log with your post as an attachment. Note that passwords and passphrases not stored in the log. You may want to remove other data you consider sensitive though, such as host names, IP addresses, account names or file names (unless they are relevant to the problem). If you do not want to post the log publicly, you can mark the attachment as private.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: WinSCP 5.9.x unable to logon remote hosts - 5.7.7 works fine

Thanks for your report.

Can you send me an email, so I can send you back a debug version of WinSCP to track the problem? Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have sent the email. Thanks.

You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile.

Advertisement

Papou008

I found the same problem.
It look to come from non conventional characters in my SSH password like "(", "-" ...

Password with only letters and numbers work fine ... but it's not so secure...

Thanks for your work !

mokaz_anno

Papou008 wrote:

It look to come from non conventional characters in my SSH password like "(", "-" ...
Thanks for your work !

Seems possible although I've tested the same builds on a VM with the same OS version as my main host and it worked fine there.
And i'm using priv/pub keys to connect on hosts..

And yes, Thanks Martin !!!

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Papou008 wrote:

So it cannot be the same problem then. The problem @mokaz has occurs before authentication.

Your problem is more likely due to WinSCP 5.9 correctly using UTF-8 for passwords and your server possibly does not. Older versions of WinSCP did not use UTF-8. While that was incorrect, it may have made WinSCP compatible with your server. Though characters like "(" and "-" are ok. They are ascii. Are you sure you do not have any other more-special characters in the password?

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum