Can't Browse C:\Users\User\ appdata

Advertisement

AlexisPERR

Can't Browse C:\Users\User\ appdata

Hi

in the left pane of WinSCP, the local pane where you browse your hard disk, I am unable to browse C:\Users\me\appdata

The browser simply refuse to browse in it.

Advertisement

Tonik

Hi, the problem is still present (just updated to newest)
I can copy the address from Explorer and put it inside CTRL+O dialog, then it will find the folder, however after confirming the selection, main window won't do anything.
Also one cannot search for %appdata% folder, even it is regular address in Windows folder tree.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Tonik wrote:

Hi, the problem is still present (just updated to newest)
I can copy the address from Explorer and put it inside CTRL+O dialog, then it will find the folder, however after confirming the selection, main window won't do anything.
Also one cannot search for %appdata% folder, even it is regular address in Windows folder tree.
Thanks for your report.
What version of Windows?
What is the exact path you paste? (I assume, it's a real path; you are actually not using the %appdata% variable, right?)
Can you browse to the path? If not, on what level does it stop? Can you post an output of dir command for that path (the path where you cannot browse further/deeper from).

staviq

I can confirm this problem still occurs in the latest version 5.11.3

Any attempt to get to the appdata folder is completly ignored by winscp.

AppData folder in the user profile directory does not show at all.

Manually entering the full absolute path to the AppData folder does nothing, just nothing happens, winscp stays in the last folder it was in.

Win 8.1 x64.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Thanks for your report.
I have sent you an email with a debug version of WinSCP to the address you have used to register on this forum.

Starko

Hello and merry Christmas!

I just wanted to let you know, that I also have this problem for years. I never thought of it as a bug. I would gladly offer my help.
This is what won't work for me.

2MZxIGx.png

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

@Starko: Thanks for your report.

Can you send me an email, so I can send you back a debug version of WinSCP to track the problem? Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have sent the email. Thanks.

You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile.
Last edited by martin on 2023-05-24; edited 1 time in total

Advertisement

kaplan71

This issue might also apply to the Application Data folder error message that I am experiencing in my issue. Is it possible to send me a debug version WinSCP as well?

Reply with quote E-mail

crodgers

AppData folder not accessible

I also have this problem (and just found this page by Google). I'm running Win 10 x64 Pro with all latest updates installed.

Would you also send me the debug version please?

Best wishes,

Chris.

Advertisement

otheus

Great product, but this is a pretty obvious problem plaguing WinSCP. I have v 5.11.2 and see the same problems described above. Martin, have you even attempted to replicate the problem on your end?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

otheus wrote:

Great product, but this is a pretty obvious problem plaguing WinSCP. I have v 5.11.2 and see the same problems described above. Martin, have you even attempted to replicate the problem on your end?
Of course I did. Works perfectly for me on numerous different systems. And I never got any answer with details from any of the users, who reported the problem previously. So I do not have enough information to solve the problem.

I'm sending you an email with a development version of WinSCP to the address you have used to register on this forum.

otheus

Ah, well, honestly, it seemed like you were sending out a generic reply. But shame on the others for not responding anyway.

So FYI, this is Windows 7 SP1. Oldie but goodie. Tried on both baremetal and VM in VirtualBox with a fresh Windows install.

Version 5.13.3 downloaded and installed via PortableApps. I'm not sure how to update PortableApps with the beta version, but this one is newer.

Problem persists.

If I try to enter the path Using "Local/Go To/Open Directory", it simply returns to the "home" directory. But at the same dialogue box, I can click on "Browse", and it *will* let me get to AppData in the browse tree. But if I select it and hit OK, nothing really happens. If I go to a different directory, such as a folder under "Dropbox", it works fine. A screenshot is provided.

Description: Screenshot of browsing to AppData. This seemingly works, and the path is copied into the previous dialogue, but as soon as "OK" is hit, the (Windows) HOME directory is shown again.

2018-08-23 19_01_37-WinSCP-BrowseAppData.png

otheus

Problem persists in 5.14_119383f9b

Thank you for the beta release. I installed and launched, and verified using Help/About that I had "5.14." Build 8704 2018-08-23.

I then tried to see if the problem was the "hidden" attribute, but no cigar. I created a new folder, named "New Folder", marked it hidden, and then tried to navigate with WinSCP. It worked as expected.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Problem persists in 5.14_119383f9b

otheus wrote:

Thank you for the beta release. I installed and launched, and verified using Help/About that I had "5.14." Build 8704 2018-08-23.

I then tried to see if the problem was the "hidden" attribute, but no cigar. I created a new folder, named "New Folder", marked it hidden, and then tried to navigate with WinSCP. It worked as expected.
So can you send me a trace log from the development version? (instructions are in the email, I've sent you)

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

MikeTwo wrote:

I have the same problem and I'd like to help also. I'd happily test the beta version.
So, can you send me an email, so I can send you back a debug version of WinSCP to track the problem? Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have sent the email. Thanks.

You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile.

RobinK
Donor

Dear Martin,

I am an extremely happy user of your product - except for this bug.

Windows Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.407)

WinSCP 5.14.1 beta (Build 8909)[/img]

I'd be more than happy to help you debug this.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Robin

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

RobinK wrote:

I am an extremely happy user of your product - except for this bug.

Windows Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.407)

WinSCP 5.14.1 beta (Build 8909)[/img]

I'd be more than happy to help you debug this.
Thanks for your report.
I have sent you an email with a debug version of WinSCP to the address you have used to register on this forum.

spongman

same

i'm seeing the same issue. cannot browse (local->go to->open directory) any directory within %USERPROFILE%\AppData.

> icacls %USERPROFILE%\AppData
appdata NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)(F)
        BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)(F)
        DOMAIN\user:(OI)(CI)(F)

> attrib %USERPROFILE%\AppData
    H                C:\Users\user\AppData

it's a hidden directory, so it doesn't appear in the tree view, or the directory view.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: same

spongman wrote:

i'm seeing the same issue. cannot browse (local->go to->open directory) any directory within %USERPROFILE%\AppData.

> icacls %USERPROFILE%\AppData
appdata NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)(F)
        BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)(F)
        DOMAIN\user:(OI)(CI)(F)

> attrib %USERPROFILE%\AppData
    H                C:\Users\user\AppData

it's a hidden directory, so it doesn't appear in the tree view, or the directory view.
So is the problem that you cannot see it? (did you enable showing of hidden files?)
Or that you can see it, but you cannot browse/enter it?

jelabarre59

I encountered this as well, but I found a possible solution by accident. The directory I needed to copy from the remote Linux system was a "hidden" directory, and hidden dirs weren't showing on the remote window. I saw the item on the status bar on the bottom of the window saying there were xx number of hidden files. I clicked on that and started seeing hidden directories on *both* ends, which meant I'd now see AppData and could navigate into it.

Advertisement

jelabarre59 wrote:

I encountered this as well, but I found a possible solution by accident. The directory I needed to copy from the remote Linux system was a "hidden" directory, and hidden dirs weren't showing on the remote window. I saw the item on the status bar on the bottom of the window saying there were xx number of hidden files. I clicked on that and started seeing hidden directories on *both* ends, which meant I'd now see AppData and could navigate into it.
Thank you so much. I have no clue, why the answer was way down in the bottom. This should have been a no-brainer for people familiar with WinSCP.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum