problems renaming files within WinSCP

Advertisement

F. J. Gaztelua

problems renaming files within WinSCP

Hello,
I have WinSCp 3.7.3 (but the problems also appears in all the versions I have had installed before), with the Norton style interface, and "double-click" on file set to "open file" (I use drag and drop to transfer the file). Usually, before transferring files, I open them to see the contents, and sometimes I need to rename the files. I have found this manipulation with WinSCP dangerous:
- sometimes it works fine
- sometimes I get an error similar to (I haven't it now at hand): "invalid memory access", and the rename operation fails
- sometimes, and this is the worst case, the rename operation is done on both the current and the adjacent file

Because of this, I have given up using this operations with WinSCP, and use a regular Windows Explorer window for this "pre-task". It would be great if this could be solved and I could do it all with WinSCP.
Thanks,
F.J. Gaztelua

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: problems renaming files within WinSCP

Sorry, I do not understand what exactly do you do to rename the file. Can you clarify this?
- sometimes, and this is the worst case, the rename operation is done on both the current and the adjacent file
Also please clarify how does this happen.

martin wrote:

Sorry, I do not understand what exactly do you do to rename the file. Can you clarify this?

Yes, I select the file, then press F2 (or second click after a while, as in Windows), then edit the name, then press Return

Also please clarify how does this happen.

In short, and as I remember it (I was too worried trying to repair the files) the new name goes to the file adjacent to the selected file, and the name of the adjacent file goes to the selected file.

note: this is not a support request but a bug notification and a bug-solve request
Regards,
F.J. Gaztelua

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Yes, I select the file, then press F2 (or second click after a while, as in Windows), then edit the name, then press Return
Unfortunatelly I'm not able to reproduce the "invalid memory access" error. Do I understand right that you rename local files this way? Are you aware of any specific circumstances? Does it happen for file is all directories? Does it happen for some kind of renaming only? Like only when the file list needs to resorted after rename or similar?

In short, and as I remember it (I was too worried trying to repair the files) the new name goes to the file adjacent to the selected file, and the name of the adjacent file goes to the selected file.
I do not believe that this can happen. I would believe that by some mistake other file is renamed. But what you describe are two renames instead of one. Such bug is almost imposible. Please if it ever happens again, check the results carefully and let me know.

Hello,
I will try to reproduce the errors using the rename function, so as I can take note of all the circumstances and messages. I will let you know.
Thanks,
F.J. Gaztelua

Advertisement

Hello again,
I have more data about the case.
First, I have a screen snapshot of the memory error. As I don't see a way to upload the snapshot file, I will send you it by e-mail (hope it don't disturb you). And relating to the case of two files involved in a rename operation, I have observed that it is a false alarm: it seems to be only that, when I rename a file, the file list is resorted, so the file I have renamed moves down or up.
Thanks again,
F.J. Gaztelua

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

I have more data about the case.
First, I have a screen snapshot of the memory error. As I don't see a way to upload the snapshot file, I will send you it by e-mail (hope it don't disturb you).
Thanks for the screenshot. But unfortunatelly unless I'm able to reproduce it I cannot fix it. If you find a way how to reproduce the bug at will, let me know.

martin wrote:

Thanks for the screenshot. But unfortunatelly unless I'm able to reproduce it I cannot fix it. If you find a way how to reproduce the bug at will, let me know.

Hello, again,
I haven't been able to reproduce the error so far, so, as you said, the problem can not be fixed so far.
But I am writing again because I have just got the problem relating to two adjacent files, mentiones earlier. So, it was not a mistake, it really occurs:
I had two files (three, indeed, but we'll ignore the third) in my filelist:
GAUR.FN.BECMAT_PRIMERA_MATRICULA.sql
and
GAURCODI.FN.BECMAT_VALIDA_ACADEMICA_GV.sql
Then, I wanted to rename
to
GAURCODI.FN.BECMAT_PRIMERA_MATRICULA.sql

so, I have selected-wait-second click on
and rename it to

(I pressed Return), and then, I get in my filelist:

and

This has hapenned:
the first file
(the one I wanted to rename) was not been renamed, and the second file
got renamed (of course I didn't want it).

Well, as before, I can't reproduce the error so far, and I'll understand you can't fix it, but please, be aware of it.
Thanks,
F.J. Gaztelua

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

This has hapenned:
the first file
(the one I wanted to rename) was not been renamed, and the second file
got renamed (of course I didn't want it).
OK, I accept possibility of such error, while I have never saw it and noone else have reported it. However before you wrote:
what is something different.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum