external editor/multiple windows doesn't work 3.7.5

Advertisement

beta51_tester

external editor/multiple windows doesn't work 3.7.5

I am using PSPad. This only works when the option is disabled and the Warning prompt appears and you select 'No':

"Editor (application) launched to open file ... closed too early... To support this ... must adapt 'External editor opens ...' "

I then check, [x] Never ask me again... click 'No' and it works predictably. Then I close and restart WinSCP (with [x] multiple files in one window (process) option selected) and it doesn't work. PSPad: error saving.... :(

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: external editor/multiple windows doesn't work 3.7.5

Does 3.7.4 work for you? Note that I do not mean if it did, I mean if it works now, if you downgrade.

stanis

exactly the same problem

I've had the same problem using multilanguage version 3.7.5, and Notepad++.
I've tried to downgrade to 3.7.4 but the problem still occurs.

When I open a new file, WinSCP creates a new directory in %temp%. When I try to open another file, the directory is created but it's immediately deleted, so the editor can't find the file.

I close the editor(not only the file) before loading another file, this is the best way for me to work on multiple files...

Thx if you find a solution :wink:

Stanis

Re: exactly the same problem

I open the first file, then I close the whole editor and WinSCP IS able to open another file correctly. This is the way I work with it. But if I try to open a second file without closing the whole editor, it opens in a different (new) temp dir, but this temp dir is immediately deleted...

Enabling multiple file support in preferences doesn't seem to work. If disabled, the program asks me if I want to enable it.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

I open the first file, then I close the whole editor and WinSCP IS able to open another file correctly. This is the way I work with it. But if I try to open a second file without closing the whole editor, it opens in a different (new) temp dir, but this temp dir is immediately deleted...
I have tried that with Notepad++ 3.0 and it worked. BTW, what version of notepad are you using?

Enabling multiple file support in preferences doesn't seem to work. If disabled, the program asks me if I want to enable it.
It should be enabled.

stanis

martin wrote:

I have tried that with Notepad++ 3.0 and it worked. BTW, what version of notepad are you using?

I'm using Notepad++ 3.0
Here's what I did :

- launch Winscp (I reinstalled v3.7.5 build 294)
- connect to the distant server
- double click on the file index.php, which is associated with notepad++
- notepad++ opens, with the index.php ready to edit (I can edit, save and it works)
- double click on index2.php, notepad++ (already opened with index.php) just opens a new tab for index2.php
- then, I can't edit index2.php because it has been deleted. Please check this link to screenshots and messages, the first image is the error message from Notepad, and the other ones are my complete settings. Can you see something wrong ?...
<invalid hyperlink removed by admin>

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

OK, I see the problem finally :-)

You open the file, you do not edit it. WinSCP does not support MDI editors for opening files (via association), because it cannot know if the editor is MDI. You need to configure notepad++ as external editor, set that it is MDI editor and use edit function.

However there is definitelly a bug that confused me (and maybe you too). Even if you use open command, WinSCP incorrectly offers you to enable support for MDI editors, even when it has no impact on open function.

stanis

martin wrote:

You open the file, you do not edit it.

All right ! I understand, and it finally works, if I choose "edit" instead of "open".
Thank you very much :D

Advertisement

ivan g.

stanis wrote:

martin wrote:

All right ! I understand, and it finally works, if I choose "edit" instead of "open".

thanks guys, this was my problem also :)

Leon

ivan g. wrote:

stanis wrote:

martin wrote:

thanks guys, this was my problem also :)

I have the same problem, and spent almost one month to find the solution. Someone should put this on the FAQ. Thank you so much for who ever posted the solution.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum