Bug 958 - Portrange for active mode.

Advertisement

Progs

Bug 958 - Portrange for active mode.

I'm refering to this Bug: https://winscp.net/tracker/958

As stated in the documentation the Client is listening on a random port for data:

In the active mode, the client starts listening on a random port for incoming data connections from the server (the client sends the FTP command PORT to inform the server on which port it is listening). Nowadays, it is typical that the client is behind a firewall (e.g. built-in Windows firewall) or NAT router (e.g. ADSL modem), unable to accept incoming TCP connections

In some situations a Network Administrator is blocking most ports for security reasons and only open a few ports for data connection. It would be great to have an Option to Limit the portrange.

Im thinking about and Option like activePortRagenMin and activePortRangeMax. There a user could enter a range for example from 10000 to 11000. With that Option the winscp Client could choose the random port from this range and inform the Server with the PORT-Command.

So there would be no Problem with blocked ports anymore. FileZilla has a similar Option:
https://wiki.filezilla-project.org/Network_Configuration#Active_mode

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

OK, I'll consider this. Though, I must say that it does not have a high priority. Active mode should not be used in general.

CCFDUser11

Re: Bug 958 - Portrange for active mode.

Because of the firewall rules at my company, we're forced to use active mode. And now they want to limit the ports used on the client side. We really need this feature . . . Thank you.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Bug 958 - Portrange for active mode.

I'm sending you an email with a development version of WinSCP to the address you have used to register on this forum.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum