Cannot login via old WinSCP plugin anymore (OpenSSH 7.4p1)

Advertisement

vygi

Cannot login via old WinSCP plugin anymore (OpenSSH 7.4p1)

Hello here.

I am using the file manager Altap Salamander with a WinSCP Plugin: https://winscp.net/eng/docs/salamander .

Unfortunately, the plugin is pretty old: "based on WinSCP Version 4.4".

Few days ago, some of our CentOS servers have been updated to version 7.4 and got new openssh version 7.4p1.

Now I cannot log in with that WinSCP plugin of Salamander.

It reports an error "expected key exchange group packet from server".

In the server logs, there are entries "error: kex protocol error: type 30 seq 1 [preauth]" and "Connection closed by xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx port 65476 [preauth]"

After a short investigation, I've found following PuTTY error report: <invalid hyperlink removed by admin> -- perhaps the same or similar issue?

Anyway, the Samalander+WinSCP work fine with the servers which aren't uppdated yet (openssh 6.6.1p1) but not with the updated ones (7.4p1)

Does it mean then that the WinSCP plugin is too old and should be updated, otherwise I will be not able to log in?

Is there a possibility to get it working without downgrading the openssh on the servers?

HELP!..... .... S.O.S. !!...

P.S. PuTTY connects to all servers without any issues.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Cannot login via old WinSCP plugin anymore (OpenSSH 7.4p1)

Yes, the plugin needs to update.

But unfortunately, WinSCP was meanwhile updated to Unicode, what makes it incompatible with Altap Salamander API. I'm waiting for them to release Unicode version of Salamander.

vygi

Thanks a lot!

I am not sure if an unicode version of Salamander will ever be released...

Are there any workarounds possible?

(we are using SSH authentication with private+public key)

vygi

martin wrote:

You can use WinSCP application. It's look and feel is pretty much the same as Altap Salamander.

Yes, I know, and I use it already. Still, I would prefer the WinSCP plugin inside of Salamander as I like that file manager and use it every day.
So... No chance to get that combination - old WinSCP (plugin) + new Linux with new OpenSSH - working without plugin update?...

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

vygi wrote:

So... No chance to get that combination - old WinSCP (plugin) + new Linux with new OpenSSH - working without plugin update?...
You can still configure the new OpenSSH to allow the ciphers that the old plugin supports.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum