Wonderous Window Woes

Advertisement

keepitsimpleengr

Wonderous Window Woes

First, the problem with Window's growing under XP PowerToys desktop is gone with 3.7.6. :D https://winscp.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2228

Now another phenomenon has appeared. Might be related to the above, and there is a workaround.

In WinXPpro using XP Power Toys desktop, when at least two instances of WinSCP are running, one of the instance's window will "reduce" in size until it reaches (apparently) the minimum size. Only the title bar with "WinSCP" and the title bar's buttons are visible.

This window will now not resize.

If this window closed last, then WinSCP will no longer properly launch, and must be uninstalled (complete) and re-installed before it will properly launch.

(This is the workaround) If the remaining "un-shrunk" window is closed last, there are no problems at WinSCP's next launch.

I wouldn't call this anything but a minor bug, but I thought you would be interested. 8)

Advertisement

keepitsimpleengr

This just in...

The window will resize to minimum when just one instance is running and swaping desktops....

Make sure to open a new instance before closing the minimized one to avoid the "black hole" effect.

And yes, Martin, I've been in the business over 30 years, and it's still like arrrrrrgh! sometimes. :roll:

fpsiv

MSVDM issues

I've had to do the uninstall/reinstall bit a couple of times now... too quick for my own good with the desktop switching buttons... :roll:

For what it's worth, I was able to leave the saved sessions (stored in the registry) during my last 'black hole' recovery. Just uncheck the 'sessions' box after the 'remove all information stored...' dialog.

Cheers,
-fpsiv

David Pike

MSVDM

My computer was recently "in the shop" for maintenance and had its hard drive completely wiped. This was expected beforehand, so I had backed up all my data.

I'm now in the process of re-installing software, etc, and have been hit with this bug, whereby WinSCP keeps going tiny on me. Here's all I have to do to make it happen: Open WinSCP, switch to another of my virtual desktops using MSVDM, and then switch back to the desktop with WinSCP. The WinSCP dialogue is now resized so that it is just a wee little thing, and trying to resize it and make it usable in any way is impossible. The only option seems to be to close it.

If a fix is not coming soon, then can I at least ask which is the most recent previous version of WinSCP without this bug?

Thanks,

- David.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: MSVDM

David Pike wrote:

If a fix is not coming soon, then can I at least ask which is the most recent previous version of WinSCP without this bug?
I do not know. I fear that the bug is present in all versions. If you want, you can do investigation yourself.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: This just in...

I was trying to reproduce the problem, but without luck. I've installed MSVDM. I run WinSCP. When I switch desktop, tiny window title of WinSCP appears next to "start" button. This is known bug, that I do not know how to get rid of. But when I switch back to desktop with WinSCP window is restores to original size. No reducing. Do you do something else?

keepitsimpleengr

Re: This just in...

martin wrote:

I was trying to reproduce the problem, but without luck. I've installed MSVDM. I run WinSCP. When I switch desktop, tiny window title of WinSCP appears next to "start" button. This is known bug, that I do not know how to get rid of. But when I switch back to desktop with WinSCP window is restores to original size. No reducing. Do you do something else?

When I switch desktops and then switch back, sometimes the WinSCP window is now the tiny window title box, descibed earlier. It is not by the Windows start button, but where the original window was based on the windows upper, left corner. Note, I set the taskbar to the right screen edge vice the standard bottom creen edge, so the Windows start button is upper, left corner of the desktop.

I have tried minimizing the WinSCP window before switching desktops, and this seems to produce better results. I have been trying to determine if the chronic nature of the resizing can be traced to some action or application but have not been successful yet.

Sometimes when I launch a new instance of WinSCP before closing the tiny window title box, the new instance is the same size as the original window, and sometimes it is much smaller. I have no idea why. :roll:

I am running PuTTY beta 0.58, we are on a Novell network, XP is Professional Version 2002, SP2, and I am connecting to an HP9000/879/K260 running HP-UX 11i Ver 1 Release B.11.11.

Good luck and hope this helps...

mjg

Still seeing this bug

I'm seeing this bug in WinSCP 3.8.2 still. Any news on a fix, or should I find another virtual desktop manager?

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Still seeing this bug

mjg wrote:

I'm seeing this bug in WinSCP 3.8.2 still. Any news on a fix, or should I find another virtual desktop manager?
No news. I haven't found a solution yet :-(

moomin

MSVDM bug

I can confirm the bug exists in 3.8.2. Obviously it only happens when the WinSCP window remains opened when switching between virtual desktops. When WinSCP is minimised, everything is okay.
It is quite annoying though, if you forget to minimise WinSCP, because you cannot resize the Window. You have to close WinSCP and reconnect.
I suppose there are only few people using MSVDM but I still hope you will find the problem! Good luck!

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum