compare directories and subdirectories

Advertisement

kelvin01

compare directories and subdirectories

it would be nice if i could compare directories recursive so i don't have to look in every directory to see if something changed

Advertisement

RubenKonig

Re: compare directories and subdirectories

kelvin01 wrote:

it would be nice if i could compare directories recursive so i don't have to look in every directory to see if something changed

I do agree, but even without that functionality, the directory comparison tool is a great tool. Recursive directory comparison would be a really great tool. Good work.

Janssen

(recursive) directory comparison AND synchronization options

(recursive) directory comparison & synchronization options are the things I would like to see.

Me too!

I would also like to see the syncronize feature extended to subdiectories. If you are using windows API call to do the synchronisation i.e. ReadDirectoryChangesW then the third parameter is a boolean that just needs to be set true to enable this (bWatchSubtree). This should probably be an option in the "More" dialog of this window however.

Advertisement

guest22

i completely agree.

winscp is great for transferring files via scp or sftp.

but with robust tools for recursive synchronization, directory comparison, etc. winscp could be a great tool for remote development.

compare timestamps for files. options for updating certain files.

synchronize including delete extraneous files on local drive not present on remote checkbox vice versa

:D :D :D :D

Fris

Some other nice features I could use and possibly other people too :-)

Monitoring file deletions, thus ensuring complete real-time synchronization.

Bandwith limit (seen in another synchronization tool): by telling WinSCP not to use more than a certain amount of bandwith other network traffic can also still pass at the same time (especially usefull for slower connections, of course).

Option to update the remote directory only at a specified interval. Very usefull if you have to save your files very often, but don't want them to be uploaded every time.

sunc

i have a remote server and want to backup the files everyday...

an option to schedule a synchronization between 2 folder(incl. subfolders) everyday would be very nice option

Advertisement

Re: (recursive) directory comparison AND synchronization options

Janssen wrote:

(recursive) directory comparison & synchronization options are the things I would like to see.

I really really want to see sychronization too!!!

Here is my added problem, What I'm trying to keep in sync is around 10 Gigs, and I didn't want to transfer it all with winscp the first time so I did that directly with a laptop. Anyway, the timestamps are totally different for everything and there is no way to change what attributes are being used to compare the files and directories. I would be happy at this point with file name and file size being compared. As it is now, it's highlighting everything when I compare directories.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: (recursive) directory comparison AND synchronization options

I would be happy at this point with file name and file size being compared. As it is now, it's highlighting everything when I compare directories.
Good idea, I'll implement it.

Marena

Watch out - comparing file size is not always good idea. When you transfer text files between Windows and Unix you'll have always different size...

Marena

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Marena wrote:

Watch out - comparing file size is not always good idea. When you transfer text files between Windows and Unix you'll have always different size...
Of course, it will be optional and off by default.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum