Double click on unknown file

Advertisement

Wurm

Double click on unknown file

Hi, I haven't found anything about this. Can someone give me a hint?

- I have changed standard operation on double click to "Edit".

- the editor is proper configured: If I use "Ctrl-E" on a file everthing works fine, the file is transferd and opened with the editor.

- if I double click on any file I get an error code 4. It seems that WinSCP wants to open the remote file "as a directory" instead of transfering it to my local machine

I am using the latetest version. Any ideas? Thanks!

Advertisement

Wurm

I have read the documentation before, now I have read the part again you linked to. Thank you, but I don't see a solution for my problem. Can you give me an exact hint? Which option do I have to use?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

The option is effectivelly ignored when resolving of symbolic links is disabled for current session, in which case double-clicking file is always interpreted as attempt to open it, just in case it is unresolved symbolic link.

Advertisement

dpknc84

^ My post, just to clarify.

I have symbolic links enabled and edit on double click set for my session. It doesn't work. It throws error code 4 no matter what I do. Bug maybe?

Frustrated.

dpknc84

General failure (server should provide error description).
Error code: 4
Error message from server: None
Request code: 11

When trying to double click on a .cfm file using version 3.8.0 (build 312) of WinSCP. I'm using the SFTP protocol w/ SCP fallback.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

I do not think that's a full error message. I think there is probably main error message and you posted is just a detail (debug) information, associated with it.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Wurm wrote:

I don't know what you mean with 'a full error message' but this what you get.
Typically, what was posted is message revealed if you press "more" button. There should be "main error", visible even without pressing "more" button.

Wurm

'Fehler beim Anzeigen des Verzeichnisses "/export/home/myuser/file.txt"'

I have the german version. The english message should be something like

'Error when displaying directory "/export/home/myuser/file.txt"'

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

I'm 99% sure that this is caused by you not having resolved symlinks. See the link in my first post. However, I've realized that there is not only possibility that you have disabled the resolving, but also that the server does not support it. This is the case for SFTP protocol version 2 and lower. This is very uncommon, but it can be the case. Is it?

Advertisement

Wurm

martin wrote:

This is the case for SFTP protocol version 2 and lower. This is very uncommon, but it can be the case. Is it?

It is. Many thanks!

sftp> version
SFTP protocol version 2

I have tried another server and it works. I guess there is no solution to get this feature work with SFTP protocol version 2?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Wurm wrote:

I have tried another server and it works. I guess there is no solution to get this feature work with SFTP protocol version 2?
Of course, I may add an option for this, but as SFTP version 2 is hardly used, I do not give it high priority.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum