Program Requirements for SSH/SFTP?

Advertisement

Werdhi

Program Requirements for SSH/SFTP?

My understanding is that WinSCP has SSH/SFTP capability without installing additional programs like Putty. I would rather not intstall them if not needed for my case. I am using the stand-alone WinSCP (without installer) and it appears to make a secured SSH 2/SFTPv3 connection just fine. I see no need for Putty (perhaps it is only required for those people looking to generate a public key?)

I use Kerberos for my e-mail (Eudora and Mulberry) but I'm only really concerned with SFTP in WinSCP. If I've got it without Putty, no need. Having Kerberos support would be good, however, as I could continue to use my "ticket" (which I assume is equivalent to a public key) for WinSCP once I'm logged.

:?: CLARIFCATION: Can the stand-alone WinSCP connect securely without helper apps like Putty?

:idea: Kerberos authentication compatibility in WinSCP (like Filezilla) for those already using this? I saw some interest in this in the User Poll (not tremendous ... but it was there ... I know my University would take SERIOUS interest if WinSCP could do SSH/SFTP and Kerberos).

Best,

Werdhi
56k Dial-up

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Program Requirements for SSH/SFTP?

Werdhi wrote:

:?: CLARIFCATION: Can the stand-alone WinSCP connect securely without helper apps like Putty?
WinSCP does not need Putty.

:idea: Kerberos authentication compatibility in WinSCP (like Filezilla) for those already using this? I saw some interest in this in the User Poll (not tremendous ... but it was there ... I know my University would take SERIOUS interest if WinSCP could do SSH/SFTP and Kerberos).
Kerberos authentication may be added within one month. But I do not promise it :-)

Werdhi

What can I say, I'm impressed with the program and with your dedication to developing it and responding to user needs/requests/wishes. I haven't seen such dedication elsewhere. You rock! :D

:!: I am very happy to hear about the possible implementation of Kerberos. If you add Kerberos to WinSCP, I am sure my university will have no problem recommending the it as a secure ftp program with the capacity to easily keep files up to date on the server.

Keep up the good work!

Werdhi
56k Dial-up

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum