Bug: 'New and Updated Files Only' broken

Advertisement

charlierichmond
Donor

Bug: 'New and Updated Files Only' broken

- WinSCP version 5.1.3 (Build 2881)
- This bug used to also happen in older versions before 'New and Updated Files Only' was added to the copy window
- Windows 7 Home Premium Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)
- FTP transfer protocol
- Commander
- No errors
- I select a local directory on the left panel to copy to the remote server which has already had a full copy of the same directory copied to it on a previous date. The purpose of this is to do a backup of this directory, adding new files and replacing updated files, but not replacing files which are older on the local machine. This is what the 'New and Updated Files Only' selection is intended to do if I understand it correctly. This process works correctly for files that are a small number of directory levels deep but it fails when the files are around 8 levels deep and the time comparison no longer works correctly so it replaces files that are newer on the remote server. This also failed in older versions that did not have 'New and Updated Files Only' when identical file names were found and the 'File exists - Replace?' window came up and I clicked the 'Newer Only' button, essentially resulting in the same behaviour and it still has this problem if I use this technique when the 'New and Updated Files Only' checkbox is not ticked. I transfer using binary and exclude temporaries.
- Remote server is a Unix environment
- It is difficult to obtain a log file because I can only duplicate the problem by copying a full directory with many subdirectory levels and it works correctly 90% of the time. If I navigate manually to the same directory depth on remote and local machines so that the files being copied are less than 8 deep, it starts working correctly again which means that the log would show thousands of files that are correctly not being replaced before a file comes along that incorrectly gets replaced because it is 8 or more levels deep.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Bug: 'New and Updated Files Only' broken

Can you please try to collect the log anyway and email it to me? Or at least a relevant snippet.

charlierichmond
Donor

martin wrote:

Can you please try to collect the log anyway and email it to me? Or at least a relevant snippet.
Can you please email me with specific instructions on how to obtain the log file and so I can get your proper email address: charlie.rsd@gmail.com Thank you!

dt126

Other problem with "New and updated files"

I'm having another issue with this checkbox and it is this. When not checked, copy proceeds normally. When checked, I am getting an error "cannot create directory" if the directory already exists on the target.

charlierichmond
Donor

charlierichmond wrote:

martin wrote:

Can you please email me with specific instructions on how to obtain the log file and so I can get your proper email address: charlie.rsd@gmail.com Thank you!
I have made a log file and emailed it to you. You can see the incorrect behaviour with the music files that should not have been transferred that were in the My Music directory because they were not newer and already existed. My feeling is that the error happens because the files are very deep in the directory structure and could also be related to some of the directories having the space character in them.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Other problem with "New and updated files"

dt126 wrote:

I'm having another issue with this checkbox and it is this. When not checked, copy proceeds normally. When checked, I am getting an error "cannot create directory" if the directory already exists on the target.
Please start a new thread and attach a full log file showing the problem (using the latest version of WinSCP).

To generate log file, enable logging, log in to your server and do the operation and only the operation that causes the error. Submit the log with your post as an attachment. Note that passwords and passphrases not stored in the log. You may want to remove other data you consider sensitive though, such as host names, IP addresses, account names or file names (unless they are relevant to the problem). If you do not want to post the log publicly, you may email it to me. You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile. Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have emailed the log.

charlierichmond
Donor

Re: Other problem with "New and updated files"

martin wrote:

dt126 wrote:

Please start a new thread and attach a full log file showing the problem (using the latest version of WinSCP).

To generate log file, enable logging, log in to your server and do the operation and only the operation that causes the error. Submit the log with your post as an attachment. Note that passwords and passphrases not stored in the log. You may want to remove other data you consider sensitive though, such as host names, IP addresses, account names or file names (unless they are relevant to the problem). If you do not want to post the log publicly, you may email it to me. You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile. Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have emailed the log.

Please note this was added by user dt126 and not me. I have emailed you the log file pertaining to my problem and described it further above and am still having the original problem this thread is related to. Please don't abandon my request, thanks!

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum