5.2 beta pinned or recent sessions reusing existing window

Advertisement

number_one

5.2 beta pinned or recent sessions reusing existing window

I don't know if this is supposed to be by design, but it is definitely different behavior than earlier versions, and it is very annoying (at least for me).

First off, I don't use the tabbed session feature often. I much prefer a separate window per session (selectable via Win7 task bar).

In versions pre-5.2, opening a pinned or recent session from the jump list will prompt for password and open the session in a new window.

In 5.2 beta, opening a pinned or recent session from the jump list will prompt for password and open the session in an existing WinSCP window. What is even more annoying, however, is that focus does not switch to the window, so if you have an existing WinSCP window behind other windows it will be prompting for a password without any visible indication that user intervention is required (i.e. you have to click to show the existing WinSCP window and then you will see a prompt waiting).

What would be really nice is preference options for:
1) Disabling tabbed sessions entirely
2) Opening new sessions from jump list in new windows

At the very least a reused window needs to be given focus (even for a password prompt), but I also would hope that WinSCP will still cater to those who prefer separate windows. Thanks.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: 5.2 beta pinned or recent sessions reusing existing window

number_one wrote:

I do not see the point. What would this be good for? Just do not use it.

Hold down Shift key while clicking on the jumplist.
See https://winscp.net/eng/docs/ui_jump_list

At the very least a reused window needs to be given focus (even for a password prompt), but I also would hope that WinSCP will still cater to those who prefer separate windows. Thanks.
Will look into that. Thanks for your report.

number_one

Re: 5.2 beta pinned or recent sessions reusing existing window

martin wrote:

number_one wrote:

I do not see the point. What would this be good for? Just do not use it.
Well, I was only thinking of it basically being a shortcut for automatically hiding the tab pane as well as preventing any sessions opening up as tabs under any circumstance. However, I agree that it is unnecessary if we don't have to do special things like keyboard combinations in order to prevent tabbed sessions.

Hold down Shift key while clicking on the jumplist.
See https://winscp.net/eng/docs/ui_jump_list
I've been using WinSCP for ages and I can guarantee you it will take me a LONG time to get used to holding the shift key when opening sessions from the jump list. It also seems like a counter-intuitive thing for people who don't or infrequently use tabbed sessions especially since this is changed behavior from the way it has always been before. Please, please at least give us an option to not have to press the shift key. It has become muscle memory for me to open sessions via the jump list and I know that I will "forget" the shift key countless times.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum