Tree views

Advertisement

tsqrl

Tree views

WinSCP should have an alternative for tree view position. For instance in Windows Explorer tree view is on the left side of the file list. I think it would be a better position than above file list. Computer display has more space horizontally than vertically.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Tree views

Thanks for your suggestion. Will consider it.

Anyway, you may like Explorer interface:
https://winscp.net/eng/docs/ui_explorer

EDIT: This is (and was at the time) actually implemented already even for the default Commander interface:
Issue 5 – Optionally show directory tree left of file panel (Norton Commander interface)
See "Show directory tree left of file list":
https://winscp.net/eng/docs/ui_pref_commander

tsqrl

Yes, Explorer interface was better for me. Thank you.

Another thing about trees: program assumes a directory in tree view have no subdirectories when its content hasn't yet been fetched. Not until you have loaded the directory it can be expanded. In other FTP clients this is implemented opposite way - all directories have subdirectories by default. That way user can expand a directory right away not needing to load directory first. It makes browsing a lot easier.

buntoro

RE : Tree views

Hi,

I would love to be able to change the position of the tree view to be on the left side of the file list as well.

Regards,

Boentoro

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

@warfish: The tree can be places left and top. Bottom and right seem like a strange placement for me. Any example of an application that have such layout?

warfish

I'd personally be interested in exploring the top, right, left, positioning in Explorer mode and not the Commander (sorry for misunderstanding). As for unconventional placements like bottom or top, many applications, including Visual Studio Code, utilize various orientations for their functions. Different placements can sometimes enhance user experience depending on the context. For example screen positioning. Thanks!

Advertisement

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum