No disk error msg in startup

Advertisement

jtsk

No disk error msg in startup

I must have done something to alter the preferences or something because I now get wvwry time I start WinScp this "There is no disk in drive. Please insert a disk in drive E:."

E: is my CD drive and I have NEVER used it in connection to any WinScp operations.

I have Commander like user interface, and as far as I can see there are NO mention of E:-drive to be used anywhere in the preferences.

What might cause this message to be displayed?

I would appreciate any hint pointing what more settings I must check to get rid of this msg. It is really starting to bug me! :evil:

My WinScp version is 3.7.4. (build 271)

Advertisement

jtsk

local directory not in E:

Hi

If you mean WinScp login window setting Environment->Directories Local directory, that is in default setting ( empty)

After acknowledging the error msg WinScp starts with C:/myusername as local disk and directory.

Am I correct that if E: is somehow set to be the default drive in some place where there are settings it should be a visible setting so if I look thru all the settings I should see E: mentioned somewhere?

This is not the case. There are NO mention of E: anywhere in the settings I could find.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

jtsk

Did some more digging

I went thru all references to WinScp I possibly could find using various search parameters in Regedit and found NONE E:-drive (p)references or drive letters in any path mentioned.

Now this is really starting to bug me!

Could this somehow be related to original installation? I cannot remember if it was some CD from where I installed WinScp in the first place.

jtsk

Problem circumvented - not solved

I finally got rid of the annoying error message by simply entering a (totally unrelated, randomly selected) CD into drive E: and one time staring WinScp.

Then I closed WinScp, removed CD, started WinScp again and the msg was gone.

There must have been some reference in some WinScp internal cache to E: drive. That's why I could not find any reference to E: in in any path in preferences. There simply wasn't any to find!

I tried Commands menu / Clear caches earlier, but this must refer to something else because this had no desired effect.

I believe the culprit may be in WinScp login window settings in Environment->Directories.
My settings here were:
Remember last used directory NO
Cache visited YES
Cache directory changes YES
Resolve symbolic YES
Permanent cache YES

Both Local and Remote dir paths were empty.

Maybe these cache settings had something to do with this since I may have one time browsed some file to be transferred to server from a CD (the E:-drive). WinScp somehow remembered this action I may have done weeks ago and in every subsequent application startup checked if CD I once used is still usable.

I believe this should not happen like this, so this may be something to investigate a bit?

Anyway, I am glad I finally got rid of the annoyance.
:D

Advertisement

jtsk

It's baaaccckkk !

Oh crap, it's back!

For some time all went OK. I could use the WinScp just fine.

Then I had a few days break and now when I started the application again, the damn E:- drive message is back.

WHERE DOES THE WINSCP GET THIS E: REFERENCE?

I have not used E: drive for ANYTHING since I last got rid of this message and I certainly havent used or even browsed anything from E: -drive within WinScp so there should be NO internal references to E: in any WinScp caches(?)

When I got rid of it the last time I used WinScp successfully several times without the message ever reappearing in application startup.

How on earth can I get rid of this msg permanently?

Of course I can again use my method I described earlier in my posts, but it seems to be only a temporary solution.

Help, please!

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: It's baaaccckkk !

I'm having the very same issue. What can you do to get rid of it?
Do you use the latest version of WinSCP? Can I have contact to you?

Advertisement

Andy Thomas

Bug not dead !

I just encontered the same error. It is very mean!
In my case WinSCP is asking for the F: which happens to be my cd drive. I know that i have never configured
WinSCP to look in the CD-Drive on startp or connection.
Why is he asking for the drive ? Has anyone investigated this problem ?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Bug not dead !

Andy Thomas wrote:

I just encontered the same error. It is very mean!
In my case WinSCP is asking for the F: which happens to be my cd drive. I know that i have never configured
WinSCP to look in the CD-Drive on startp or connection.
Why is he asking for the drive ? Has anyone investigated this problem ?
Please send me an email, so I can send you back a debug version.

Advertisement

MJK

Same problem

Hey, I'm having the same problem. Looking for disk in drive H:. No references anywhere. Just popped up. You can send a debug version to fox_rxdwxh@trashmail.net. This email is good for one week, so if you need longer to send it just shoot me an email before 01/01/07.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Same problem

MJK wrote:

Hey, I'm having the same problem. Looking for disk in drive H:. No references anywhere. Just popped up. You can send a debug version to fox_rxdwxh@trashmail.net. This email is good for one week, so if you need longer to send it just shoot me an email before 01/01/07.
Sorry, I was away. Can I have new contact address to you?

Advertisement

franc

There Is No Disk in the Drive. Please Insert a Disk...

I have it too, and didn't find it.
The 'trick' with putting a cd into the drive and restarting WinSCP didn't work (i tried it before though).
I dissapears if i switch to the explorer-like Interface (Preferences / Interface).
But i want to use the Norton-Commander - two panels Interface :-)

greetings franc

franc
Donor
franc avatar

franc wrote:

...and now its away, no more search for empty drive anymore, but i didnt change something, its strange...
and it is still ok. i remember, that i had a dvd in my second drive when the 'problem' dissapeared, maybe it has something to do with that.

shawn

here too

I'm getting this error almost randomly on startup now. I'm using WinSCP 4.0.3, and I can't recall ever using the CD drive in relation to WinSCP or Putty. The error originally started about a week ago and inserting a CD or not doesnt make much of a difference. Sure, the error will go away for that instance starting up, but it will randomly return when the CD drive is empty again.

While not a horrible thing (pressing cancel twice will make it disappear), it is scary and throws off my groove.

Advertisement

mgendron

Re: No disk error msg in startup

shawn wrote:

I'm getting this error almost randomly on startup now. I'm using WinSCP 4.0.3, and I can't recall ever using the CD drive in relation to WinSCP or Putty.

I am also encountering this error in version 4.0.5, build 354.

Has anyone found a solution? It's not a showstopper, but it is very annoying.

Thanks
-Mark

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: No disk error msg in startup

mgendron wrote:

I am also encountering this error in version 4.0.5, build 354.
I'll send you a debug version soon.

dudge669

No disk in drive error on startup

Wow, this bug has been around a long time. Maybe I'll download the source and take a look to see if I can figure it out. I'm getting the same error now, too. It's complaining about my J: drive which is my first DVD-ROM drive on my system (that does not usually have a disc in the drive.) -mynameabove- at gmail doht cohm

simply

This is a trojan virus. When you double click external hard drive or flash drive then the virus infect your system files. To avoid this do not double click any external disk, simply hit the window key + e in the key bord to open the windows explorer then at the left side single click the external drive that you want to open. To get out on this just update your anti virus and be sure you have a an updated virus definition.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

I'm not aware of any change since 4.2.3 that might possible reintroduce the problem. Did the problem really disappeared for you in 4.2.3 or do you just refer to tracker?

Anyway, can you send me an email, so I can send you back a debug version of WinSCP to track the problem? Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have sent the email. Thanks.

You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile.

larsen

Hi,

I just noticed this error in 4.2.9 (Build 938, Windows XP SP3). It happens when I start WinSCP and connect to a server. I can see the messages from the connect dialog running through. Then the small window is closed and the error message appears.

I have to click "cancel" 6 times to get to the big WinSCP-window with the connection. When I connect to another server from within that session, it's no problem. In Windows explorer I can see that my CD-ROM still has the label of the last inserted disc visible. I can also click on that drive and get no error message though it has not disc inserted (what actually is a little bit strange).

I will send you a mail so you can send me a debug version. Until now, I haven't tried anything else.

Lars

Advertisement

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum