Remove the requirement to auto-connect

Advertisement

yereverluvinunclebert
Donor

Remove the requirement to auto-connect

When I start Winscp it always pops up the session/site manager. Often the very last thing I want to do is to make a connection, I simply click close and the session/site manager closes and takes winscp with it. This is annoying and wrong.

I might simply wish to open WinSCP to change some settings, to check the program version or something similar. I should not need to open a connection to a site in order to do that.

If for example, my system has been infected by a trojan I would specifically NOT want Winscp to make any sort of connection but I might want to look at WinSCPs configuration settings.

If my sites won't connect for some reason, router or host down I don't want to have to attempt to connect to an unavailable site (and fail) just to start WinSCP.

By default this behaviour should be disabled. WinSCP should merely start and sit there awaiting a connection attempt.

Advertisement

NorthPole

A long-term FileZilla user would find this helpful!

I've just been trying out WinSCP today, having had issues with the current version of FileZilla Client. The biggest difficulty I've found in adapting to WinSCP is the requirement to connect before the file selection window opens; and likewise the program completely exiting when the last connection is closed. Can the possibility of opening the file window without connecting, and likewise disconnecting without exiting the program, be considered?

Re: A long-term FileZilla user would find this helpful!

martin wrote:

It's our plan for the next major release.
Thanks prikryl, good to know.

Advertisement

TryingItOut

Anonymous wrote:

martin wrote:

It's our plan for the next major release.
Thanks prikryl, good to know.
Hello,
I have the same issue coming from other ftp clients, and I find this very annoying. Has this automatic login been corrected some way, or we should turn to another client to avoid it?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

TryingItOut wrote:

I have the same issue coming from other ftp clients, and I find this very annoying. Has this automatic login been corrected some way, or we should turn to another client to avoid it?
It's been implemented already as you can see by following the tracker link in my previous post.
Though, can you explain, what you find "annoying" about this?

TryingItOut

martin wrote:

It's been implemented already as you can see by following the tracker link in my previous post.
Though, can you explain, what you find "annoying" about this?

Certainly. As another user has commented before, somebody might simply wish to open WinSCP to fix or change some settings, to check the program version or something similar. It should not be obliged to open a connection in order to do that.

The implementation I 've already noticed is the choice to check "keep main window open...", but this does not stop the automatic login attempt. If there is another solution that it was not clear to me please point it out.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

TryingItOut wrote:

Certainly. As another user has commented before, somebody might simply wish to open WinSCP to fix or change some settings, to check the program version or something similar. It should not be obliged to open a connection in order to do that.
All these functions are already available on the Login dialog.

The implementation I 've already noticed is the choice to check "keep main window open...", but this does not stop the automatic login attempt. If there is another solution that it was not clear to me please point it out.
WinSCP does not (by default) automatically login anywhere. What do you mean by that?

Advertisement

TryingItOut

martin wrote:

All these functions are already available on the Login dialog.
The request is to have the option to get the main screen (interface) of the program on start, (to make any adjustments), and not have to use a login dialog to make other arrangements.
WinSCP does not (by default) automatically login anywhere. What do you mean by that?
I mean the login dialog that pops up when you run WinSCP.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

TryingItOut wrote:

The request is to have the option to get the main screen (interface) of the program on start, (to make any adjustments), and not have to use a login dialog to make other arrangements.
I understand what your request is. I do not understand, what it is useful for.

I mean the login dialog that pops up when you run WinSCP.
You cannot turn that off. But you can make WinSCP not to close, when the Login dialog is closed.

User123456

Has this issue been resolved?
Another reason why this behaviour is a bit annoying. I open winscp and before I can move it to another computer monitor. I have to make a connection to get the login box to close. Then I can move winscp to another monitor.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

User123456 wrote:

Has this issue been resolved?
Another reason why this behaviour is a bit annoying. I open winscp and before I can move it to another computer monitor. I have to make a connection to get the login box to close. Then I can move winscp to another monitor.
You do not have to open a connection to move WinSCP to another monitor.
When you drag the initial Login dialog, the main window is moved along with it.

Advertisement

harrybarracuda

Don't open the Login dialog by default

This makes no sense at all.

Just open the application so we can use the app dialogues.

If I want to make a connection I can start one from the menu.

This isn't rocket science.

harrybarracuda

martin wrote:

You cannot turn that off. But you can make WinSCP not to close, when the Login dialog is closed.

How?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Don't open the Login dialog by default

harrybarracuda wrote:

What dialogues?

harrybarracuda wrote:

martin wrote:

How?
Turn on "Keep main window open when the last session is closed":
https://winscp.net/eng/docs/ui_pref_window

sharknado

martin wrote:

harrybarracuda wrote:

What dialogues?

harrybarracuda wrote:

martin wrote:

How?
Turn on "Keep main window open when the last session is closed":

Not seeing how you dont get what several users are asking.
We dont want the login prompt to pop up every single time we open the program.
We dont want to have to close a login box every single time we run the program.
It cant be that difficult to understand this concept.
Yes, you can use "Keep main window open when last session closed" but you still have to close the window every single time because that doesnt stop you from being forced to see a Login box.
This is 2019, not 2009. Be better.

WinSCP_persistent_login_2019-04-15png.png

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

sharknado wrote:

Not seeing how you dont get what several users are asking.
We dont want the login prompt to pop up every single time we open the program.
We dont want to have to close a login box every single time we run the program.
It cant be that difficult to understand this concept.
Well it is difficult. Because no one has explained so far, what would you do with the window without having a session opened. Will you explain it to me?

Believe me, I'm happy to add the option, if I have a good reason for that. But I'm not going to clutter the preferences window (which has way too many options already) with yet another option, which does not bring any real functionality (as I see it now).

Once/If we turn WinSCP to a file manager, then it will be usable even without a remote session. And then I'm happy to add that option. Until then I do not see a reason to. Until finally someone explains why. So far all just grumble here and noone gives a good reason.

SuperGod

The only one good valid reason is, we don't want each time we launch a program to be FORCED to press close button in order to do anything inside program.

Nobody wants to turn WInSCP into a filemanager, like you said.
Please, let users decide what they want to do once application is lanched.

Another quite annoying thing in WinSCP is when you finish transfering your Queue with settings "Disconnect Session" program simple CLOSING

Why just I can't return to WinSCP instead I HAVE TO lauch it again?

Please reconsider this...

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

SuperGod wrote:

The only one good valid reason is, we don't want each time we launch a program to be FORCED to press close button in order to do anything inside program.
That what everyone repeats. But, what do you want to do inside WinSCP without an opened session?

Please, let users decide what they want to do once application is lanched.
Sorry, but that's not a valid argument. We design WinSCP, not the users. If users were designing WinSCP (= if we accept any user request), WinSCP would unusable by now.

Believe me, there's so many features I regret ever adding to WinSCP, just because people kept shouting at me here at the forum.

Another quite annoying thing in WinSCP is when you finish transfering your Queue with settings "Disconnect Session" program simple CLOSING
It does not, unless you configured it to.
See Confirmations > Exiting application on operation completion:
https://winscp.net/eng/docs/ui_pref_environment

Advertisement

Fenix

Hi, just installed the latest version and tried to use WinSCP to manage some local files but unfortunately Login windows pop up and at closing it takes WinSCP with him. Seriously this cant be fixed since 2013 ?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Fenix wrote:

Hi, just installed the latest version and tried to use WinSCP to manage some local files but unfortunately Login windows pop up and at closing it takes WinSCP with him. Seriously this cant be fixed since 2013 ?
It's not a bug. It's not to be fixed.
Anyway, if you do not like it, as mentioned above, you can turn on a preference option "Keep main window open when the last session is closed":

anotherguest

There is a "Tools" menu at the bottom of the "Login" window that opens up. From that Tools menu you can check the version, check for updates, change preferences, import, export, etc. I also don't understand the need to close that window to do these things.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

anotherguest wrote:

There is a "Tools" menu at the bottom of the "Login" window that opens up. From that Tools menu you can check the version, check for updates, change preferences, import, export, etc. I also don't understand the need to close that window to do these things.
Thanks!

Advertisement

oputz

There are many reasons why the login dialog is not desired when starting WinSCP. Some users wrote it. I don't want to see the dialog either. E.g. you cannot minimize WinSCP then. It doesn't help if you now ask "why do you want to minimize it?

But it is clear to me that a developer answers here. He cannot understand what users want. For developers, usability doesn't play a big role.

I still bow to the great program. Thanks for that.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Did you read my posts above? All that was asked for in this thread is already implemented (in the latest beta version).

oputz

Sorry, i have not read about a solution for this topic.
Unfortunately i can't test beta versions. Will wait for the stable.
If there is really a possibility to deactivate the dialog box i bow to the usability of the developers. Thanks.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Did this ever get resolved

Jimbo1147 wrote:

I am still unable to open the interface without an active connection
Do you have the beta version installed?

gus

solved on 5.17.10 (build 11087)

on 5.17.10 (build 11087) this is no longer a problem. everytime i start winscp i no longer get the login window.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum