feil perfect with winscp, and totally messed up with SCP on Unix

Advertisement

feil perfect with winscp, and totally messed up with SCP on Unix

Hello. I have been using winscp to send my files over to a Unix server, and everything has been perfect. We installed scp on our unix biox, and when I send the file across from Unix to Unix, the file is garbaldeegook! :? Is there something specific that I ahve set up in WinSCP that I am missing on my Unix SCP? Any help would be appreaciated!
Thanks.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: feil perfect with winscp, and totally messed up with SCP on Unix

What is "garbaldeegook"? :-) What do you do to transfer the file?

I think I know what is wrong

It shows all of the carriage returns and tabs as strange characters. Someone told me that I need to use this command right before I SCP

unix2dos filename

Only problem is that we don't have unix2dos installed on our Unix box, so is there any other way around this?

answer to your question

Sorry,
I noticed that I did not answer your question.
IN my Unix script I use this command:

scp -P 222 -B filename userid@99.99.999.999:incoming/filename.`date +'%Y%m%d'`

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: answer to your question

unix2dos is useful to convert file before transfering it to dos/windows machine. As you transfer it unix-to-unix, there's no need for it. Well, maybe you have it in dos format on the first unix already, however you edit/view it with tool that knows dos-format too, while after trasfering to the second unix, you edit/view it with tool that knows only unix format.

As last chance (if the file is really in dos format), to do the conversion, download file to windows using WinSCP in "binary" mode and upload id back in "text/ascii" mode. It should do the conversion for you.

Note that command line scp does not do any conversion of the file, so I doubt that it garbled the file.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum