Getting - Server refused to allocate pty error in Putty after using WinSCP for first time

Advertisement

Josh Roberts

Getting - Server refused to allocate pty error in Putty after using WinSCP for first time

Hi,

I installed WinSCP on a windows desktop machine, connected to a RH Linux server OK and did some transfers, but then...

After using WinSCP I can no longer get a Putty SSH connection to server. The error that comes up in a putty session after entering in a PW is "Server refused to allocate pty". I have used Putty for years with no problems until now and was wondering if you could give me any insights as to how to troubleshoot the problem. :(

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Getting - Server refused to allocate pty error in Putty after using WinSCP for first time

I have never heard of such problem. And I do not think that it is problem of WinSCP anyway.

You should better check the SSH server log to see why it refuses to allocate you PTY. Or contact your server administrator, if you cannot do it yourself.

Anyone else having this problem?

Re: Getting - Server refused to allocate pty error in Putty after using WinSCP for first time

Actually could the sychronize button, if used incorrectly, delete files from server? That may be what caused the problem. Wha't the purpose of the synch button?

I was thinking that clicking it accidentially with a crucial folder highlighted could have wiped out or damaged the kernel

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Actually could the sychronize button, if used incorrectly, delete files from server? That may be what caused the problem. Wha't the purpose of the synch button?
See reply in other post.

I was thinking that clicking it accidentially with a crucial folder highlighted could have wiped out or damaged the kernel
I cannot tell if this is possible.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum