Actions/menu on tree pane

Advertisement

ago

Actions/menu on tree pane

With the new interface there is now a tree pane in addition to the usual "file list" pane... BUT actions (like deleting a file or folder) act ALWAYS on the selected items on the "file list" even if the item in the tree pane is actually active...

This is counter-intutive and quite confusing... Obviously it is not a big issue since in the worst case you act on an item within the folder instead of the full folder... But it is a bit annoying. More than once it happened to me that I deleted an item in the list pane when I actually wanted to delete the full folder (selected on the tree pane)... And you have those two seconds of total panic "why did it not go away... what the hell did I delete instead?"...

I would suggest that the actions act upon the SELECTED AND ACTIVE items whether on the tree pane or not.

That also means having a shortcut menu for the tree pane which is identical to that in the "file list" pane...

I think it requires only a minor change.

Once I am there: an "add new file" might be useful (just: touch "new file")... A shortcut menu in blank section of the pane with "add new folder/file/link" and other useful stuff...

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Actions/menu on tree pane

While I agree with you that the current behaviour might be confusing, I cannot agree that fix requires only minor change.

So far WinSCP was designed to work in current directory only. If I allow operations on the tree, this would be broken and it means rather big redesign.

Once I am there: an "add new file" might be useful (just: touch "new file")... A shortcut menu in blank section of the pane with "add new folder/file/link" and other useful stuff...
This is on the wishlist.

ago

martin wrote:

So far WinSCP was designed to work in current directory only. If I allow operations on the tree, this would be broken and it means rather big redesign.
:?:
But if an item is selected in the tree pane then it is the current directory, isn't it?

It seems to me (I might be wrong) that what you say hodls tru only for the shortcut menu where you can use an action on a tree folder without selecting it...

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

ago wrote:

But if an item is selected in the tree pane then it is the current directory, isn't it?
Yes, but WinSCP can work on elements of current directory not on current directory, which is element of its parent directory.

It seems to me (I might be wrong) that what you say hodls tru only for the shortcut menu where you can use an action on a tree folder without selecting it...
No. Unfortunatelly it is not so easy.

Ago

prikryl,

If I understand correctly the actions use a relative path starting from the current directory... If that's the case you can still act on the current directory itself since on unix systems each directory is linked to itselsf ( . )

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Ago wrote:

If I understand correctly the actions use a relative path starting from the current directory... If that's the case you can still act on the current directory itself since on unix systems each directory is linked to itselsf ( . )
  • That does not change anything. If I'm able to process "rm ./", I would be able to process "/xxx/xxx/". That's the same.
  • If I decide to make commands work in tree, I would like to work it for any node, using "context menu". You solution would not allow it.
  • Still I have to solve problem of deleting "current directory". WinSCP would have to change to other directory
None of the above is too diffucult to solve, but it is not that easy as you think.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum