How to make "CALL" work properly for FTP/S connection

Advertisement

soonerdave

How to make "CALL" work properly for FTP/S connection

Greetings!

I have configured WinSCP to connect to an FTP/S server using explicitSSL. I am connecting to an IBM MVS server to upload a small set of data, and then exit. No external or secondary processing. The connect works fine.

Before "PUT"ting the file, I need to issue a "QUOTE SITE" command, and it appears the intended protocol for WinSCP is to use the CALL statement in a script to accomplish it. Each time, however, the CALL fails. I've tried:

CALL "SITE RECFM=FB LRECL=114 CYL"
CALL "RECFM=FB LRECL=114 CYL"

and neither has worked. (Over the course of today, I've tried somewhere between six and 42 billion combinations of this, and nothing's come close). I've even tried just doing a direct QUOTE SITE command, which errors out as an invalid command. I'm obviously having a brain cramp and not understanding what I'm doing wrong.

In order to use WinSCP for this particular project (migrating an existing/working FTP transfer process that uses these existing commands), I *have* to figure out what I'm doing wrong, or if perhaps what I am attempting just isn't supported under FTP/S in WinSCP.

Are remote commands simply not supported in this scenario? Or am I just missing something really, really obvious?

Many thanks,
SoonerDave

Advertisement

soonerdave

After searching the forums a bit more, I've found that WinSCP cannot support the functionality I require.

I found a post, albeit a bit old, explicitly stating that "QUOTE SITE" is not supported. I'll have to find a different FTP/S client solution.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

soonerdave wrote:

I found a post, albeit a bit old, explicitly stating that "QUOTE SITE" is not supported. I'll have to find a different FTP/S client solution.
What post was that?

Anyway, it is supported.

Use CALL SITE RECFM=FB LRECL=114 CYL to call SITE RECFM=FB LRECL=114 CYL FTP command on the server.

soonerdave

After revisiting WinSCP, I realized my error was putting the arguments to the CALL statement in quotes (in my script). I removed the quotes, and the CALL SITE.... function worked just fine.

If I can find a link to the post that said it wasn't supported, which I apparently misunderstood, I'll post it in a moment.

soonerdave

prikryl

I looked through the forums for the specific message I had seen, but of course, I can't find it. I promise it's out there somewhere -- I wouldn't have (temporarily) walked away from WinSCP if I hadn't seen it :)

It was entirely my fault for putting the CALL string in quotes, or I likely would have had this working the first try last Friday. Nothing but a "doh" on me when all is said and done.

With this corrected, my transfer is now working perfectly. WinSCP to the rescue! :)

Thanks,
-SD

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum