40 KB/s SFTP transfers

Advertisement

Guest in Need

40 KB/s SFTP transfers

Hello,

I'm pretty new to WinSCP. The existing setup on the production server was there when I was assigned the task. I'm pretty much coming in blind.

When I log into the server with WinSCP and download a file, I get atrocious download speeds. At the time of writing this I've been waiting exactly 2 hours for a download and received only 289,305 KB. Which is an average speed of just over 40 KB/s (40.18125.)

I can log into the ftp site and download the same file in seconds via a browser. I know that SFTP is supposed to be slower but something just feels wrong with what I'm seeing. I just don't know enough to figure out what's going wrong. I see people saying that they're getting average speeds in the MB/s ranges.

I am on version 4.3.2 which I know is pretty old and I'm trying to make a case for updating to see if that helps but I don't have much weight to throw around.

Aside from updating to the latest version, are there any improvements I can make to speed this up? Over 2 hours to download this file isn't going to cut it and we can't keep doing it manually forever.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: 40 KB/s SFTP transfers

We just cannot give you any statement on 4.3.2. Sorry. It's a way too old. I cannot tell what improvements were made since.

Guest in Need

On the topic of upgrading then, can we have multiple installs of WinSCP? As in keep the currently working version installed while we install the latest release and test?

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum