WinSCP hangs on Xfer, PSCP works fine

Advertisement

josi_ok

WinSCP hangs on Xfer, PSCP works fine

I can log in just fine, see directories, etc., but when I try to transfer files, WinSCP just hangs until it times out. Log file says "-bash: scp: command not found". Apparently, scp is not in path, except pscp (and Putty) works fine. Thanks for any suggestions.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: WinSCP hangs on Xfer, PSCP works fine

As you see in log, scp is not in path on your server for WinSCP session. You must correct this.

Please note, that WinSCP opens shell (without TTY), while PSCP does not open shell. This may affect, if files like .bashrc are executed or not. So it may be possible that PSCP works, while WinSCP does not.

josi_ok

martin wrote:

As you see in log, scp is not in path on your server for WinSCP session. You must correct this.

Please note, that WinSCP opens shell (without TTY), while PSCP does not open shell. This may affect, if files like .bashrc are executed or not. So it may be possible that PSCP works, while WinSCP does not.

I looked at .bashrc. It really doesn't have anything (if [-f /etc/bashrc]; then... /etc/bashrc doesn't exist). I'm still not sure why 'pscp' works, but WinSCP doesn't. Doesn't pscp require scp on the destination side, also?. How does it work differently? Doesn't the fact that I can run Putty SSH and PSCP tell me that they have SSH/SCP daemons running? BTW, the destination in my case is my web host. I'm not sure if I can install scp, but I'll check it out.

Thanks for your help!

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

PSCP needs scp as much as WinSCP needs it. But as I've already wrote, there is different mode of connection for WinSCP and PSCP. It might influence configuration (PATH might be different). I cannot tell you how, it can be very specific.

Jonni

martin wrote:

PSCP needs scp as much as WinSCP needs it. But as I've already wrote, there is different mode of connection for WinSCP and PSCP. It might influence configuration (PATH might be different). I cannot tell you how, it can be very specific.
:?

I'm quite puzzled by the fact that WinSCP uses the server's scp executable to send/receive files?? Shouldn't you be able to initiate transfers to both directions from one end, with pscp or whatever?

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Jonni wrote:

I'm quite puzzled by the fact that WinSCP uses the server's scp executable to send/receive files?? Shouldn't you be able to initiate transfers to both directions from one end, with pscp or whatever?
This is how SCP protocol works. PSCP does the same thing.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum