can I execute custom commands without getting the 'executing custom command' message

Advertisement

jrbrown00

can I execute custom commands without getting the 'executing custom command' message

I use winscp to call BeyondCompare, but whenever I am comparing a Local file to a remote file, I see the 'executing custom command' message, which locks me out of doing anything else. Can I avoid this so that I can still manipulate files via WinSCP while the remote command is executing, like a background process, maybe?

Advertisement

jrbrown00

When I added "cmd.exe /c start " to the front of my command, winSCP invoked Textpad against the files I was trying to compare. Here is my command string

cmd /c start "C:\Program Files (x86)\Beyond Compare 3\BCompare.exe" "!" "!^!" &

jrbrown00

blank remote screen

now the command executes without displaying the custom command message, but the remote screen is always blank, like it does not know where to find the source. If I run the command without 'start', the compare works normally. I have several tabs open, so perhaps it does not know which remote session to use for the compare? Two images are attached from running with and without 'start'. The temporary file names are pointing to different folders

beyondCompare2_populated_remote.JPG

beyondCompare1_blank_remote.JPG

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: blank remote screen

Because WinSCP manages to delete the local temporary copy before BC reads it.

You have to workaround it somehow:
  • wait a bit before exiting the command, like
    cmd /c start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Beyond Compare 3\BCompare.exe" "!" "!^!" & timeout /t 3
  • copy the file elsewhere and compare the copy

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum