Modify "Operation to perform on double-click"

Advertisement

Anton P.

Modify "Operation to perform on double-click"

Hi,

Would you consider allowing a different choice of "Operation to perform on double-click" for local and remote sides?

I would like "Open" to be the default for the local side (because the file is already on the machine which will execute the command) but I would like "Edit" to be the default for the remote side (because I wouldn't normally choose Open, since that requires copying the file over first; also, UNIX files often don't have Windows-style extensions, so "Opening" them means nothing to Windows whereas I know perfectly well that the file is probably a plain-text editable file).

It just seems more "natural" to me, this way.

Cheers then,
Anton

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Modify "Operation to perform on double-click"

Anton P. wrote:

Would you consider allowing a different choice of "Operation to perform on double-click" for local and remote sides?
Wouldn't it make the configuration too complicated for new user to understand?

because I wouldn't normally choose Open, since that requires copying the file over first
So does editing :-)

Anton P.

martin wrote:

Wouldn't it make the configuration too complicated for new user to understand?
Looking at the current Panels area of the Preferences dialog, I don't think so. It currently says, in the area called "Double click":
Operation to perform on double click [combo box]
I would suggest changing it to
Operation to perform on double-click of file
– in local panel [combo box]
– in remote panel [combo box]
and I think that would be clear. I prefer adding the words "of file", as I don't think that it is obvious what it refers to at the moment. With this clarification, I don't think a new user would have difficulty.

Also, just a quick note: perhaps change the name of the area from "Double click" to "Double-click" [hyphenation]. (I know just how much of a nightmare it is to keep these things consistent! I write various technical articles and the phrase "double-click" is probably the single most irritating phrase of all; when I review them after writing the first draft I frequently find that I've used the hyphenated version and the unhyphenated version the same number of times in a single article!)

martin wrote:

Anton P. wrote:

because I wouldn't normally choose Open, since that requires copying the file over first
So does editing :-)
Indeed; it just the way my mind thinks about this! It's "obvious" that a remote file has to be copied locally in order to open it with an application on the local machine, but even though I know editing also occurs locally I still think of editing as happening "on the remote machine". It doesn't make much sense, I know!

Just another quick note about hyphenation in the Preferences dialog: in the "Commander" panel, in the "Panels" area, it says
Explorer style selection [combo box]
I found this a bit hard to understand at first glance. Then I realised that it should be
Explorer-style selection [combo box]
or, even better:
Use Explorer-style selection [combo box]
and perhaps if you don't mind the the combo box being wider it should list the options as
when using mouse and keyboard
when using mouse only
never
Cheers then,
Anton

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Anton P. wrote:

I would suggest changing it to
Operation to perform on double-click of file
– in local panel [combo box]
– in remote panel [combo box]
and I think that would be clear. I prefer adding the words "of file", as I don't think that it is obvious what it refers to at the moment. With this clarification, I don't think a new user would have difficulty.
Hm. So far I was trying to keep options affecting local files on Commander tab. The reason is that you have the local panel with NC-interface only.

(I know just how much of a nightmare it is to keep these things consistent! I write various technical articles and the phrase "double-click" is probably the single most irritating phrase of all; when I review them after writing the first draft I frequently find that I've used the hyphenated version and the unhyphenated version the same number of times in a single article!)
I have even worse problems with drag&drop. In the documentation for WinSCP you will probably find many forms of the expression, including "drag&drop", "drag & drop", "drag-n-drop", "drag and drop"... :-)

Anton P.

martin wrote:

So far I was tring to keep options affecting local files on Commander tab. The reason is that you have the local panel with NC-interface only.
Yes, that it sensible. However, there is already one option in the Panels area which applies to local files: "Delete local files to Recycle Bin".

I suppose one option is to have two different versions of the "Operation to perform on double-click of file" option: one on the Commander tab, and one on the Explorer tab. One could also argue that some of the other things on the Panels tab could apply independently to the local panel and to the remote panel, so again these could be duplicated in Commander and Explorer. Alternatively, you could have separate tabs for local and remote panels. But things are getting complicated then!

Just a small point (completely unrelated]: I just noticed the option "Remember panels state when switching session". This should either be
"Remember panel's state when switching session" or "Remember panels' state when switching session" [apostrophe]

OR

"Remember state of panel when switching session" or "Remember state of panels when switching session"

In each case, the first option is correct if you are talking about just one panel, and the second is correct if you are talking about two (which I think you are, if this option can apply to both panels when the user has the Commander interface).

Best wishes,
Anton

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum