Remote sort by Type should subsort by Name not Changed

Advertisement

Anton P.

Remote sort by Type should subsort by Name not Changed

Hi Martin,

I have spotted a problem with the new "Type" column in the remote panel of the Commander interface.

(Note that, during testing, after making changes to the sorting order, you should leave the current directory and re-enter it to ensure that the changes are implemented without interference from previous sorting orders.)

When the panel is sorted by type (so that the little grey arrow appears in the Type column header), it is subsorted by Date Changed. So all .txt files are listed together from older to newer. However, this does not follow the algorithm used by Windows Explorer, which subsorts Type by Name, so that all .txt files are listed together in alphabetical order.

Since the local panel appears to be based on Windows Explorer native behaviour, the views in the local panel and the remote panel can be different when they should be the same.

On a related point, I note that there is a new item added to the context menu of the Name column header: "[sort] by extension". This is a nice feature, and I wish Windows Explorer had it! However, perhaps it would be good to place a little icon in the Name column header to indicate that this sorting is in place. (Currently, the grey arrow that usually indicates ascending or descending sorting order just disappears, making it difficult to see which sorting is being used.) I don't know what the icon should look like though! Perhaps a modification of the 'grey up arrow'.

Best wishes,
Anton

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Remote sort by Type should subsort by Name not Changed

Anton P. wrote:

When the panel is sorted by type (so that the little grey arrow appears in the Type column header), it is subsorted by Date Changed. So all .txt files are listed together from older to newer. However, this does not follow the algorithm used by Windows Explorer, which subsorts Type by Name, so that all .txt files are listed together in alphabetical order.
Thanks, I have never noticed :-)

On a related point, I note that there is a new item added to the context menu of the Name column header: "[sort] by extension". This is a nice feature, and I wish Windows Explorer had it! However, perhaps it would be good to place a little icon in the Name column header to indicate that this sorting is in place. (Currently, the grey arrow that usually indicates ascending or descending sorting order just disappears, making it difficult to see which sorting is being used.) I don't know what the icon should look like though! Perhaps a modification of the 'grey up arrow'.
I agree. However I always fear to modify behaviour of standard Windows controls, because it requires testing on different version of Windows. But as you have asked, I consider that.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Remote sort by Type should subsort by Name not Changed

Both requested features have been implemented while ago. Please get the latest version.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum