Problems using the ListDirectory / ls command with z/OS mainfra FTP-site

Advertisement

Problems using the ListDirectory / ls command with z/OS mainfra FTP-site

I'm fairly new to WinSCP - version 5.9.4 and need it to work with z/OS ftp-site through the .NET assembly.
I've covered all my needs, except for the ls command, where I have two problems

1) WinSCP seems to list all dataset for the selected user/prefix and then filter against wildcard pattern on the client side. This can result in huge lists being sent over the net for no reason.

2) Allthough I can see (with Wireshark) that the server returns the z/OS specific information like Dsorg,Recfm, Lrecl there doesn't seem to be a way to retrieve the information?
I downloaded the source, cloned the ListDirectory method and dependencies to a new ListMainframeFiles method, but it seems that the assembly communicate with WinSCP.exe through an XML log-file and the data I need is not in the log-file either.

Can anybody advice me?

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Problems using the ListDirectory / ls command with z/OS mainfra FTP-site

Anonymous wrote:

1) WinSCP seems to list all dataset for the selected user/prefix and then filter against wildcard pattern on the client side. This can result in huge lists being sent over the net for no reason.
That's correct. There's no (at least no standard) way to get the server filter the files. So they have to be filtered on client side.

2) Allthough I can see (with Wireshark) that the server returns the z/OS specific information like Dsorg,Recfm, Lrecl there doesn't seem to be a way to retrieve the information?
I downloaded the source, cloned the ListDirectory method and dependencies to a new ListMainframeFiles method, but it seems that the assembly communicate with WinSCP.exe through an XML log-file and the data I need is not in the log-file either.
No, WinSCP does not support retrieving those fields. All you can possibly do, is to parse WinSCP log file.

SvenSDC

Hi Martin.
Thank you for your reply.
I posted this question originally - now I've created a login :-)

1) It seems that WinSCP use the LIST command, while the built-in Windows FTP client use the NLST command. Are there no plans to support the NLST command?

2) Thank you for the tip.

In our case, this issue alone will make WinSCP useless for us for widespread use.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

SvenSDC wrote:

Sorry :( I was mistaken about the NLST command. It is that LIST command that returns most info. I only need it to apply the filter on the server.
Again, that's not possible. Maybe your server supports that. But it's against FTP specification. WinSCP cannot rely on non-standard behavior.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum