WinSCP Compatibility with APC Network Managment Cards

Advertisement

deees3012

WinSCP Compatibility with APC Network Managment Cards

I'm trying to use WinSCP to backup the config.ini from APC Network Management cards via SCP. With the GUI or command line, the program will authenticate, but the session hangs and then disconnects.

If anyone has successfully made a SCP transfer with an APC AP963x or AP964x? If so, what setting were used?

Advertisement

deees3012

Re: WinSCP Compatibility with APC Network Managment Cards

martin wrote:

Why SCP? Doesn't the device support SFTP?
No.

martin wrote:

Post a session log file.
I've attached 3 redacted log files capturing several attempts:

FTP: (Successful) to demonstrate that is IP/user/file parameters are correct. (FTP is not permitted for production systems.)

SCP: (Failed) Authentication succeeds, but session hangs

SFTP: (Failed) Reports error for missing SFTP services
  • APC-NMC-SCP-Test.zip (28.19 KB, Private file)
Description: Debug logs for attempts to use WINSCP to download "config.ini" from APC Network Management Cards.

APCUser

I have the same issue, and would love to have it solved.
These devices do not support any secure FTP, (FTPS,SFTP)
They only support SCP for secure transfer.

I got the PuTTY command line utility to work, but a nice GUI would be better for our help.

deees3012

@APCUser: I'm need to backup the configuration of approximately 300 UPS's across the United States. I'm currently executing ppscp via PowerShell script. You may be interested to know that you can use the plink command to store the host certificates that will be shared by pscp.

Just pipe the y character to the plink command: @echo y|plink -ssh (connection parameters) "exit" This will logon to the host and accept the host certificate and then exit.

Don't use the -batch argument for the plink command

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

The SCP protocol supports file transfers only. No browsing or any other file operations. For that WinSCP (in SCP mode) uses common [ba]sh shell commands. Your server(s) does not use [ba]sh. So it is not compatible with WinSCP. See https://winscp.net/eng/docs/requirements#scp

Btw, automatically forcing plink to accept a hostkey is a security flaw. Make sure you understand what you are doing. The correct way is to use -hostkey switch to verify the expected hostkey using its fingerprint.
https://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/latest/htmldoc/Chapter3.html#using-cmdline-hostkey

See How to pass echo y to plink.exe for first connection or Using echo y as an automated response to a pcp hostkey prompt and many other.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum