Don't display Login dialog when the last session is closed

Advertisement

arnrin

I like to keep the WinSCP window open all the time and so I've already enabled the option "Keep main window open when the last session is closed". But it would be nice if there was also an option:

[ ] Don't display Login dialog when the last session is closed.

Also, I notice that with the other option enabled ("Keep main window open when the last session is closed"), if I click the 'Close' button immediately after launching WinSCP (to get rid of the modal dialog), then the whole application still shuts down. So I would like to suggest that having that existing option enabled should also prevent the application from shutting down if you click 'Close' right at the start, just like it prevents the application from shutting down when you close all sessions.

To summarize:
Because I like to sometimes open my applications in preparation for using them later (so in the case of WinSCP, without having a modal dialog appear forcing me to log in to a site right away with no way to minimize main application window without dismissing the modal dialog), and because I like to leave applications such as WinSCP running even after closing all site connections, I'm suggesting making the options work like this when enabled:

[X] Keep main window open when the last session is closed
(keeps the application running when closing the last session, and also keeps the application running when closing the Login dialog immediately after application startup)

[X] Don't display Login dialog when the last session is closed
(doesn't display the login dialog immediately after launching the application, and also doesn't display the login dialog after closing the last session)

Advertisement

srsimmons

Re: Don't display Login dialog when the last session is closed

I would appreciate these options as well.

Thanks for considering it.

Advertisement

omnescient

Yes, I too would appreciate the ability to edit preferences etc. before establishing a connection. At present the program closes when the initial login dialog is dismissed.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

omnescient wrote:

Yes, I too would appreciate the ability to edit preferences etc. before establishing a connection. At present the program closes when the initial login dialog is dismissed.
You can change preferences from the Login dialog. Go to Tools > Preferences.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

arnrin wrote:

Did you make a decision about whether to implement the changes I suggested in the first post?
I think I'll eventually implement that.

Advertisement

new user

I understand that the 'Preferences' have been added to the 'Tools' drop-down within the 'Login' window (based on recent searches, it sounds like this wasn't always the case). I would still like to see an option that prevents the 'Login' window from appearing when the application is launched.
In a multi-monitor scenario, you cannot move the application to another monitor unless you successfully establish a connection so the 'Login' window disappears.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Don't display Login dialog when the last session is closed

new user wrote:

I understand that the 'Preferences' have been added to the 'Tools' drop-down within the 'Login' window (based on recent searches, it sounds like this wasn't always the case).
Preferences can be opened from WinSCP login dialog ever since version 2.0 (year 2001).

In a multi-monitor scenario, you cannot move the application to another monitor unless you successfully establish a connection so the 'Login' window disappears.
When you drag the initial Login dialog, the main window is actually moved along with it.

I used WinSCP several times and found it very handy. Thanks for the great app! However, this enforcement of the modal login window makes the application rather "uncomfortable" to use. If you close login window, it should NOT close the main window. And there shouldn't even be any option to change that. This should be the only way the app works. The only thing you would want to control is whether login window pops up on startup or not.

This would make the use of tha app a lot simpler, more intuitive and natural. Thanks for considering this!

Advertisement

arnrin

Hi Martin, I received your email telling me this has been implemented. I have briefly tried the development version, and the new options appear to work well. Thank you for implementing my suggestion.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

arnrin wrote:

Hi Martin, I received your email telling me this has been implemented. I have briefly tried the development version, and the new options appear to work well. Thank you for implementing my suggestion.
Thanks for your feedback.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum