Sync long pathnames via WEBDAV: "System error. Code: 206" (file or pathname too long) / Using UNC

Advertisement

krolch

Sync long pathnames via WEBDAV: "System error. Code: 206" (file or pathname too long) / Using UNC

Hi there!

For backup reasons, I'm using the synchronize-function to regularly synchronize/download a remote directory-structure (WEBDAV-server) to the local HDD of a Windows 7 machine.
When synchronizing files (script or GUI) with very long pathnames, that would exceed the local windows limitation of 250 chars, I get the error 206.

However, I managed to get around this limitation by using the UNC-Prefix-Notation ("\\?\E:\backup\....") - but this only worked in WinSCP in two places:

1.) synchronize command in a script
2.) synchronize-Window in the GUI.

Configuring a UNC-path for the local directory in the GUI's preferences did not work an I got the message "UNC pathes not supported".

Now I have two questions:

1.) Can I rely on the current implementation of accepting UNC-pathes in the synchronize-functions also in future releases of WinSCP?
2.) Is there any config-switch (that I didn't find yet) which lets me tell WinSCP to not adhere to the windows MAX_PATH limit?

Kind regards,

krolch

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Sync long pathnames via WEBDAV: "System error. Code: 206" (file or pathname too long) / Using UNC

krolch wrote:

1.) Can I rely on the current implementation of accepting UNC-pathes in the synchronize-functions also in future releases of WinSCP?
Yes.

2.) Is there any config-switch (that I didn't find yet) which lets me tell WinSCP to not adhere to the windows MAX_PATH limit?
Not yet.
This is tracked here:
https://winscp.net/tracker/821

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum