WinSCP is coping old versions of files that have been updated externally on remote server

Advertisement

dascjo

WinSCP is coping old versions of files that have been updated externally on remote server

Version WinSCP 5.13, Windows 10. Recently upgraded to this version and noticed it. SFTP protocol. Using Commander GUI.

I have seen this several times on 5.13. To repeat:
1. In WinSCP, display a directory with files on the server. Pick a file(s) and copy to your PC.
2. External to WinSCP, change (edit) the file(s), like through a putty session or something.
3. Back to WinSCP, copy the file(s) locally to your PC.
4. The file(s) copied are the old versions before the changes. Granted, the time stamp in the WinSCP commander window still shows the old time stamp for the remote file. But in previous versions of winSCP the updated file(s) were still copied. That does not appear to be the case, as if WinSCP has cached the file(s) or something.
5. Now, if you do a 'refresh' on the files in the WinSCP remote Commander so their time stamps update, THEN copy the files as in step 3, the correct update file is copied.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: WinSCP is coping old versions of files that have been updated externally on remote server

WinSCP does not cache file contents.

Please attach a full session log file showing the problem (using the latest version of WinSCP).

To generate the session log file, enable logging, log in to your server and do the operation and only the operation that causes the error. Submit the log with your post as an attachment. Note that passwords and passphrases not stored in the log. You may want to remove other data you consider sensitive though, such as host names, IP addresses, account names or file names (unless they are relevant to the problem). If you do not want to post the log publicly, you can mark the attachment as private.

liverpoolfcfan

The problem appears to be that when you double-click on the remote file to download it again, the remote tree is not refreshed, and the copy stops at whatever file length is currently shown in the remote tree view.

I have seen this behaviour where I have logs that are constantly being appended to. It used to be that every time I double-clicked on the remote file it would download whatever the latest updated file state was - regardless of how much longer the file had gotten.

This did confuse the % complete meter - as it would reach 100% way before the file completed downloading.

However, it did not prevent the latest file updates from downloading.

In this latest version the copy appears to just stop at whatever byte count the remote tree has for the file.

If I click the refresh button on the remote tree, I can see the file length get refreshed to a larger size, and if I then double-click on it the latest contents will download correctly.

I hope this helps

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

liverpoolfcfan wrote:

In this latest version the copy appears to just stop at whatever byte count the remote tree has for the file.
WinSCP does not use a "listed" size of a file for a download.

Please attach the log.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum