Scripting Questions

Advertisement

Hotnuts21

Scripting Questions

I have a small website project which I have succesfully set up on a number of clients sites. The clients all have inhouse commercial software which they use to run their business, and I can access that info and upload it to the website so they can keep the website and desktop software in sync.

I have been doing this using ws_ftp, as it has a scripting utility which is very good. I have placed a icon on the desktop, and clicking this icon, sets the script running in the background, uploading all the files and images. The user doesnt have to worry about the software or how it works.

I have come across winscp and it looks great, i particularly like its ease of use for sftp connections.

My questions are quite simple,
From reading around the site I have seen that scripting is possible, but I cannot find any info on how to trigger this without the user having to open winscp, is it possible to set up a icon on the desktop and have the script run in the background with maybe just a console window open?

Also is it possible to use only the scripting part of the software? For instance allowing clients to download a package that has the software (and the script and connection details) already set up, but not the whole thing. Just install and it installs the bare essentials, as well as a desktop icon which runs the script to upload. Would I be able to do this without hacking the installer?

Look forward to hearing from you
rgds
Paul

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Scripting Questions

Hotnuts21 wrote:

My questions are quite simple,
From reading around the site I have seen that scripting is possible, but I cannot find any info on how to trigger this without the user having to open winscp, is it possible to set up a icon on the desktop and have the script run in the background with maybe just a console window open?
It's other way around, you can run the script only with console window.

Also is it possible to use only the scripting part of the software? For instance allowing clients to download a package that has the software (and the script and connection details) already set up, but not the whole thing. Just install and it installs the bare essentials, as well as a desktop icon which runs the script to upload. Would I be able to do this without hacking the installer?
There is only one executable.
Learn more here: Automating Installation, Custom Distribution.

Many thanks for the info Martin.

I will dig a bit deeper and see what I can find.

As long as I can install a desktop icon which runs a script, I will be happy.

many thankx
Paul

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

As long as I can install a desktop icon which runs a script, I will be happy.
Yes you can. If you do not find the way, let me know.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum