WinSCP and opened handles to drives.

Advertisement

JRMoore

WinSCP and opened handles to drives.

Hi, I don't think it's necessary to attach a log file since I didn't do anything out of the ordinary but if you consider it's useful let me know and I'll see to it.

I see WinSCP holds opened handles on local drives even though it never accessed them.

This is the scenario I ran (it was WinSCP first run on this machine by the way):
- Add a new FTP site, configure it fully to transfer files to a directory in the drive "I".
- Save those settings for the site and connect to it.
- Start some transfers from it to the default directory I specified in the drive "I".

Later on I wanted to safely eject an USB memory drive with the letter "E" however Windows didn't allow me to because some application was using it. Since I didn't even use the drive I looked for opened handles and found WinSCP holding one.

After the transfers finished, closing the app freed the handle and allowed me to safely eject the other drive (note, both drives were connected to a hub connected to an USB port on the machine, not directly to it in case that's relevant).

How come WinSCP had a handle for that drive even though I never accessed it through it? Could it be fixed for the next release? Ideally, only keep handles open for the duration they're needed and only when needed.

Description: Opened handles for the drive "E", disregard the first ones as they're system related (they sometimes belong to the "Server" service, but not in this case; likely NTFS related).

Opened handles for the E drive, viewed through Process Hacker.png

Description: WinSCP performing the task.

Ongoin task in WinSCP.png

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: WinSCP and opened handles to drives.

Thanks for your report. What version of WinSCP are you using? What version of Windows?

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum