[URLs] Show bar and accept ftp:// at Login screen / Command line

Advertisement

44nonymous

[URLs] Show bar and accept ftp:// at Login screen / Command line

I just want to connect to a FTP server using a URL "ftp://user:pass@server:port/directory"

Problem: It's not possible. There is not place to type an URL in winscp.

1. You are forced to use a Login screen that makes you manually type everything in separate boxes. So you have to copy and paste from your URL: server name in server box, directory in options, user in user, pass in pass, etc.
- Solution: Show a bar to input a full URL at Login screen / site manager, and make winscp auto fill everyting for you.

2. Command line only accepts "winscp-ftp://" URL format, not "ftp://"
- Solution: It could also accept a normal ftp URL, but check point 3 solution.

3. There is no place to type an URL in the main screen
Solution: Show an optional main screen URL bar.

Extra: Do not force the Login screen at beginning, if there is an URL bar or the command line also works as URL bar there is no need to close and skip that screen every time.

Thanks.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: [URLs] Show bar and accept ftp:// at Login screen / Command line

44nonymous wrote:

1. You are forced to use a Login screen that makes you manually type everything in separate boxes. So you have to copy and paste from your URL: server name in server box, directory in options, user in user, pass in pass, etc.
- Solution: Show a bar to input a full URL at Login screen / site manager, and make winscp auto fill everyting for you.
Just use Ctrl+V on the Login dialog.
There's also Paste command in the context-menu of "New site" node.
https://winscp.net/eng/docs/ui_login#pasting

2. Command line only accepts "winscp-ftp://" URL format, not "ftp://"
- Solution: It could also accept a normal ftp URL, but check point 3 solution.
That's just not true.

3. There is no place to type an URL in the main screen
Solution: Show an optional main screen URL bar.
Again, use Ctrl+V
https://winscp.net/eng/docs/ui_commander_key#file_management

Extra: Do not force the Login screen at beginning
What would you do with the main window without an opened session?

44nonymous

So you can use ctrl-v and autofill works... It's true, thank you. Now, How was I supposed to know that? Every single person who has this problem will waste a lot of time figuring this out. You have to ctrl-v before doing anything, just after launching the site manager. I tried before posting in the host name space and it did not work. And ctrl-v is not the best solution. An URL bar is.

By the way ftp:// does not work in the command line because it gives an error because there is not a program registered to open ftp:// liks:
1. I did register winscp as the default ftp mangager in Windows (options).
2. Let's say I did not want winscp registered. Do you imagine if Firefox gave an error about not being able to open an http link because it is not set as the default browser?

Come on... this program needs an URL bar that opens links quickly. Just an URL bar with an icon at the end. That icon launches the site manager auto filled with the current site name, pass, directory, etc.

Every program since gopher has it for a reason. You are trying too hard to avoid it for some personal reason. That said, winscp is a good program, and it's free, so do whatever you want. Thanks.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

44nonymous wrote:

So you can use ctrl-v and autofill works... It's true, thank you. Now, How was I supposed to know that? Every single person who has this problem will waste a lot of time figuring this out. You have to ctrl-v before doing anything, just after launching the site manager. I tried before posting in the host name space and it did not work. And ctrl-v is not the best solution. An URL bar is.
While indeed URL bar would be more intuitive for pasting a URL, you are actually the first one who wants that. So for most people, the bar would be just a waste of space on the screen. And it takes one google search to find out how to paste URL in WinSCP.

By the way ftp:// does not work in the command line
What command-line?

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

44nonymous wrote:

WinSCP command line... And I'm using the portable version.
I do not understand. On WinSCP command-line, ftp:// works, e.g.:
winscp.exe ftp://username:password@ftp.example.com/
And protocol registration in Windows have nothing to do with what WinSCP can accept on its command-line anyway.
Or do you mean the command-line panel on the main window of WinSCP?
https://winscp.net/eng/docs/ui_commander#command_line

44nonymous

How many command lines are there? I can only see and use "options - command line". And that's the one not accepting ftp:// (even after registering winscp as default ftp:// url handler).

I'm not using WinSCP.com...

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum