Desktop folders freeze after transferring Word/Excel files from AWS via WinSCP

Advertisement

coramdeo10036

Desktop folders freeze after transferring Word/Excel files from AWS via WinSCP

Wondering if others can help me with this error:

When I move a Word or Excel file from WinSCP to one of my desktop folders, the desktop folder immediately freezes and i have to do a CTRL-ALT-DEL-TaskMgr shut down of the folder.

Strangely, this doesn't happen when i move PDF files.

Anyone experience this?

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Desktop folders freeze after transferring Word/Excel files from AWS via WinSCP

Can your please document the problem with few screenshots and more details description of what you are doing?

coramdeo10036

Re: Desktop folders freeze after transferring Word/Excel files from AWS via WinSCP

martin wrote:

Can your please document the problem with few screenshots and more details description of what you are doing?

Hi Martin,
Yeah- so it's hard to describe more fully, but let me try.

I have a couple excel and word files that i work on and save locally. I'll use WinSCP to move it onto an S3 instance on AWS. So far so good.

When I bring those same files back from AWS onto my local desktop, that's when the strangeness materializes. I'll typically open the desktop folder with the transferred excel/word files, and then double-click on that file to try and open. But that's when everything freezes. I have to do a hard CTRL-ALT-DEL in order to make things right again.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Does it freeze, when you open the folder? Or when you double-click the files?
Does it freeze, even if you close WinSCP before?
How exactly do you transfer the files with WinSCP?

coramdeo10036

martin wrote:

Does it freeze, when you open the folder? Or when you double-click the files?
Does it freeze, even if you close WinSCP before?
How exactly do you transfer the files with WinSCP?

It freezes as soon as I open the desktop folder containing the excel/word files.

I don't know exactly what you mean when you say "close WinSCP before". I keep a session open at all times.

I transfer the files from WinSCP to my desktop just using a drag and drop. Nothing out of the ordinary, I think.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

coramdeo10036 wrote:

I don't know exactly what you mean when you say "close WinSCP before". I keep a session open at all times.
If you close WinSCP before opening the folder, does the folder freeze or not?

I transfer the files from WinSCP to my desktop just using a drag and drop. Nothing out of the ordinary, I think.
Where exactly do you drop the files? What if you use the "Download" command in the menu instead?

coramdeo10036

martin wrote:

coramdeo10036 wrote:

If you close WinSCP before opening the folder, does the folder freeze or not?
Yup- just tried what you suggested- i cloased the WinSCP session after moving the file over to my desktop- it still freezes the folder.

Where exactly do you drop the files? What if you use the "Download" command in the menu instead?
I just tried the "Download" command, and same result as well.

Either way, appreciate your help and attention on this. Such a weird bug.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

What folder are you downloading the files to?
Does the problem happen with any local folder?
Did you try downloading the file using any other client?

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum