24 hours later I don't want to see an ERROR message saying "Error transferring file"

Advertisement

cemster

24 hours later I don't want to see an ERROR message saying "Error transferring file"

I appreciate the product and thank you, really... BUT...

An error that is almost always a momentary failure, which with just one click on 'Retry' and everything is back to the normal proceeding...

24 hours later nothing is done because I was sleeping so I couldn't click on the 'Retry' button?!

This is really nonsensical... Why can't you automatically refresh something so that it doesn't wait for a'RETRY' command from me hours later?

Waste of so much time...

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: 24 hours later I don't want to see an ERROR message saying "Error transferring file"

Please attach a full session log file showing the problem (using the latest version of WinSCP).

To generate the session log file, enable logging, log in to your server and do the operation and only the operation that causes the error. Submit the log with your post as an attachment. Note that passwords and passphrases not stored in the log. You may want to remove other data you consider sensitive though, such as host names, IP addresses, account names or file names (unless they are relevant to the problem). If you do not want to post the log publicly, you can mark the attachment as private.

Freitag
Freitag avatar

An option (checkbox) to retry single errors (N number of times) would be nice.
An option to continue on error (keep transferring other files) would be nice.

But even Windows file copy locally which ought to be perfected by now still has a terrible UI and speed. So can't blame this WinSCP too much!!

cemengin911@...

Re: 24 hours later I don't want to see an ERROR message saying "Error transferring file"

martin wrote:

Please attach a full session log file showing the problem (using the latest version of WinSCP).
This issue existed throughout all the versions...
To generate the session log file, enable logging, log in to your server and do the operation and only the operation that causes the error. Submit the log with your post as an attachment. Note that passwords and passphrases not stored in the log. You may want to remove other data you consider sensitive though, such as host names, IP addresses, account names or file names (unless they are relevant to the problem). If you do not want to post the log publicly, you can mark the attachment as private.

None of this really related. This happens in every FTP host site, with different IP addresses, and the operation in question is just downloading! And the issue is nor user initiated.
I start the download and sometime in next minutes or other times in hours, it happens.
I will provide three messages here. They all waited for me to arrive to click on the 'Continue' button. Then it resumed right away. This issue also occurs while I attend the process and then which I click the 'Continue' button immediately and so it does...
Thank you
Description: The files are small but three of them in there. I could have provided many more.
Besides the lack of 'saving the progress' function, this program is wonderful.
But findings hours later that your huge transfer failed 20 minutes after you left the room an

Advertisement

cemengin911@...

I realized now that the Note was cut of...

So here it is in full version... :)

But findings hours later that your huge transfer failed 20 minutes after you left the room and to continue all you need to do was to hit the 'Continue' button is a very painful acknowledgment...

To be honest, for me, If that fixed I believe I would have no excuse to not donate...

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

This issue has been added to the tracker:
https://winscp.net/tracker/1767

I'm sending you an email with a development version of WinSCP to the address you have used to register on this forum.

cemster

Is there any update Hi, I am still waiting for a working version of that link you sent me...

Hi, I am still waiting for a working version of that link you sent me...

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Is there any update Hi, I am still waiting for a working version of that link you sent me...

cemster wrote:

Hi, I am still waiting for a working version of that link you sent me...
Sent now, sorry.

Re: Latest version.. but still...

martin wrote:

Please attach a full session log file showing the problem.

perhaps after an update, a couple of preference ticks were missing...
One especially "Continue on Error"...
So I hope it would make a difference... Like two (or three) updates ego it wasn't any use in my case but now we shall see...

Advertisement

cemster

It just getting worst! Unbearably worst!

Now, every 5 to 10 minutes it's sitting duck with a very necessary error indication and it just waits for someone to hit the "OK" button!!! Continue on an error is an urban myth at the moment...

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Unfortunately it didn't help...

cemster wrote:

So where is this full report again? I mean how do I obtain one?
As already posted above:

cemster

Is it possible that you are utterly wrong?!

about your assumption about my knowledge in the matter...

I am asking: "How to be a Millionaire and you keep telling me: "I told you! First, you get a million!" :)

I don't know how to ENABLE LOGIN... Would you kindly direct me towards that way, please?

Because I am in pain here. I came back 12 hours later to find that error and click to continue and now I have 10 hours in the "Time Left" clock... 12 hours wasted and now I have to wait another 10 hours. Just lack of one "CLICK" is the reason...

PS. I've been searching for the answer by myself! But either I am blind and stupid or you lack that piece of information... If that's the case then, 'How to be a be a Millionaire' bit, got much funnier...

Thank you

Advertisement

cemster

I wish I've scrolled way down...

So I could have had seen the "How"...
This was what I needed. just one little sentence...
"Logging can be enabled from Logging page of Preferences dialog"...

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Finally

I can see the error only once at the very beginning, when connecting to the server. Even before any transfer has started. Does that correspond to what you have experienced?
Or did you get a different error this time?

Advertisement

cemster

Huh! Yes of course. The minor thing is something it can repair.

This one sits there and waits for me to either skip or continue...
And apparently it has no self-awareness since it can't continue by itself, like the simple ones that he can repair...

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Huh! Yes of course. The minor thing is something it can repair.

Sorry, I do not understand your answer.

Can you please unambiguously answer my post:
I can see the error only once at the very beginning, when connecting to the server. Even before any transfer has started. Does that correspond to what you have experienced?
Or did you get a different error this time?

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum