Clearing temporary folders causes issues

Advertisement

bugreport

Clearing temporary folders causes issues

Hello Martin,

there's an issue when cleaning temporary folders from Tools -> Clean up.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Establish remote connection
2. Open multiple files from remote panel in editor
3. Clean temporary folders using Tools -> Clean up

First thing is, it will add these files to the queue with 0B. Not really an issue but a bit irritating at least.
Secondly, when you try to open one of the previous files again from remote remote panel, WinSCP will fail on first try telling the file could not be found on local hard drive. On second try it will work then.

Maybe you can you look into it. I think it would be best to just remove deleted files from the file watcher and internal app cache but I'm not really familiar with how WinSCP handles things internally.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Clearing temporary folders causes issues

I actually think that WinSCP should prevent you from doing the cleanup while you have any session opened. It makes little sense.

bugreport

I usually have WinSCP opened permanently for days or even longer and after some time, either WinSCP or Windows is clearing old temp files automatically. This will then cause similar issues. In case the session is already closed then, it also happens that WinSCP pops dozens of error messages telling it can't upload the files because the session is already closed.

So with manually clearing I at least have a little more control over when it's cleared.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

bugreport wrote:

I usually have WinSCP opened permanently for days or even longer and after some time, either WinSCP or Windows is clearing old temp files automatically.
WinSCP does not do that. It must be Windows or a 3rd party software.
Anyway, that sounds like the issue that should actually be fixed.
https://winscp.net/tracker/1782

Can you send me an email, so I can send you back a development version of WinSCP for testing? Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have sent the email. Thanks.

You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile.

Would it be possible if you post the link here maybe?

And I spotted a mistake in my description of the issue. The error boxes pop up when you open the previously deleted file again from the remote panel, so when WinSCP tries to download the file (not upload).

Advertisement

The issue is partially fixed now.

What is not fixed is that WinSCP shows an error when a previously opened and cleaned file is opened again from the remote panel.

Unbenannt.png

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum