WinSCP 5.15.4 consistently freezing

Advertisement

jatkey

WinSCP 5.15.4 consistently freezing

I can't use the program for more than 5 seconds at a time without it freezing and Windows returning "not responding" messages. It freezes for minutes at a time between brief working periods and is thus barely usable. This happens even before managing to SSH.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: WinSCP 5.15.4 consistently freezing

Thanks for your report.
I have sent you an email with a debug version of WinSCP to the address you have used to register on this forum.
Last edited by martin on 2019-10-18; edited 1 time in total

massefa

Have same problem

WinSCP 5.15.4 connects to server fine, but the minute I try to transfer files from the remote server it gets stuck and says "Not Responding". Specifically, after I have clicked the file I want to transfer and dragged it, the program freezes the minute I let go to finalize the transfer. Sometimes I tried selecting the file I want to transfer, and clicking on "Download". In that case the file manages to transfer but the program still freezes and I needed to use Task Manager to shut it off and start again. I am using SFTP on Windows 10 education. Could someone please help?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Have same problem

Thanks for your report.
I have sent you an email with a debug version of WinSCP to the address you have used to register on this forum.

patdung100

Having the same problem

Having the same problem in here.
Attached some info for debugging.
Description: debug with windbg

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Having the same problem

@patdung100: Thanks for your report.

oscord

freezing

Noticed after many years of usage that WinSCP is freezing. I think it has to do me shutting down my NAS and still having a mapped drive in the Windows Explorer.

Can WinSCP abstain from trying to access every drive on every refresh and stop freezing please?

Everyone, please donate at least 5 bucks, it's good software and we want it to run well!

Thank you

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: freezing

@oscord: Thanks for your report.

tropiko
Customer

Freezes on 5.17.6 (build 10516)

Hi, I'm also using WinSCP 5.17.6 (build 10516),
registered, installed from Microsoft Store.

Freezes happen regardless if I'm connected to a server or not. It takes about 4–5 seconds for it to start freezing. Sometimes menus are clickable despite the front prompt being stuck.
It's very unnerving, I've bought the software specifically to help with work, and would love for it to work like a charm again, as it did a few months ago.

Would you kindly share with me a debug build as well?

Thanks,
Tudor

Advertisement

idloea

I am having the same issue. When I try to open or download a file WinSCP gets frozen. Could you please send me the debug version?

Advertisement

jiahui_93@live.com

WinSCP frequently freeze and not responding

Hi, I am facing the problem of WinSCP frequently freeze and not responding since last month. I had updated it to the latest version yet the problem still existing. May I know if there is a solution to solve this? I hope to get the debug version too. Thanks a lot

GuestUser

Doubt it's WinSCP

I set up a new install of WinSCP on a colleague's computer to upload to Amazon S3. It kept freezing as you all described. I then went to my old reliable version of WinSCP from years ago at my computer. My old version also now freezes at a point immediately after logging into S3. It worked like a charm years ago. I'm thinking the problem is with S3 and not WinSCP.

Thanks,
David

Martin, gimmie that debug version as well (or post a link to it).
I have a lot of behavioral counselors that use this stuff, and would like to contribute where I can, and have also (only recently) experienced hung processes. I would like to run a debug version, and I think I can easily replicate the occasional hangs I get. I have not looked into what this code base is, and if it is .NET I might not be that much help, but I would at least like to pop out some logs for you.

Advertisement

Dripman

Freeze on 5.17.7

I think that I have the similar problem.

Example: When I copy any file from remote panel (SFTP) to local panel (local HDD) application freezes about 5–15 seconds, then file copies successfully and then application freezes again about 5–15 seconds. And it annoys me very much.

But when I used very old version of WinSCP without of Windows network support (SMB) it worked fine, but in the next version with SMB this problem started to appear. And this issue still not fixed yet. I think SMB refresh queries is the root of the problem. May be SMB refresh queries interrupts the application.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

@Guest: Can you send me an email? Please include a link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have sent the email. Thanks.

You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile.

Gigante
Donor

WinSCP consistently freezing on Win 7 pro 64bit

Hello. I am facing the problem of WinSCP almost always freezing and not responding after few seconds from its launch. After a long time of proud use of this software (I also donated some years ago), some months ago I started getting this problem (it started at least from version 5.15.7), although no changes had occurred in my pc configuration.
In this last period I have repeatedly updated the software with the new versions, but the problem never disappeared anymore. My PC is running Win 7 Pro 64bit.
Any help to "have back" my favourite software for file transfer will be much appreciated.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: WinSCP consistently freezing on Win 7 pro 64bit

@Gigante: Thanks for your report.

Gigante
Donor

Thank you, Martin.
I'll try to use the debug version and generate a report for you.
Stay well.

thomaslentz

Hi Martin,
I experience the same problem on my Windows 64 bit system. Im on version 5.17.8 Build 10803.
I'm using Winscp on that Windows machine via Remote Desktop (RDP). It's not everytime I connect to the Windows machine (but almost), that WinSCP is frozen, but it seems (just a guess), that when the RDP Windows opens not in full screen mode, that I have to kill or restart WinSCP.
As a sidenote: I use RDP with two monitors (just in case this matters).

Could you please also send me the debug version (email is in my profile)?

Kind regards
Tom

Advertisement

Gigante
Donor

Hi Martin, I only want to provide a feedback to you after you kindly sent me the debug version about one month ago.
Since then, I've been able to use WinSCP without suffering any of the past issues (freezes).
The strange thing here is the fact that even the other two versions of WinSCP that I had installed before (a portable one and a resident one), and that were affected by continuous freezes, both started to work flawlessly just after the first time I launched the debug version!
In the last month I tried various times to alternatively use the three versions that at the moment are on my pc, and none of them has become frozen ever...
I cannot figure out an explanation to such behaviour, but maybe you can.
In any case, thank you very much again and stay well.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

@Gigante: Thanks for your feedback.

mlemire

Also would appreciate a copy of that debug version to circumvent the freeze-ups. Email in my profile.. thanks!

tep1997

Freezing on 5.17.9 When Connecting to S3 Bucket

Seeing same issue as others have reported when connecting to an S3 bucket, WinSCP just hangs and have to force quit. Other connections (SSH) perform normally. Have updated to latest version.

Advertisement

paolo

WinSCP 5.17.9 hangs after couple of seconds

Dear Staff, I'm using since long time WinSCP, and everything is going well, but now something happen, after 20 30 seconds from start, even if no remote server is connected, the windows freeze, and need to be killed; I've tried to clean up by removing end reinstall with last version 5.17.9 but still the same problem, I've also tried to check the main local HDD for errors, but nothing; do you have any suggestion to debug the problem?
My OS is Windows7 32 pro.

Regards.
Paolo

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

I have sent the debug build to all three of you.

arian

freezing when copying

Dear Sir or Madam,

I have the same problem. Could you please send me the debug version?

Best regards
Arian

Advertisement

arian

Re: freezing when copying

Dear @Martin,

I used the .exe file that you already sent to me. However, I still have the problem. When I want to copy files from server to my local computer, it crashes for few seconds with not responding status.

Best regards,
Arian

arian

Re: freezing when copying

The problem is solved. I used drag/drop instead of using copy/paste and it works well.
Thank you for the support!

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Freezing on 5.17.9 When Connecting to S3 Bucket

@tep1997: Thanks for your report.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Freezing on 5.17.9 When Connecting to S3 Bucket

I'm locking this thread. There are far too many unrelated problems discussed here already. Please start a new thread with lot of details, if you face a similar problem.

Advertisement

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies