Synchronised Browsing

Advertisement

Markos

Synchronised Browsing

Hi,

I've a number of client sites on my development machine, and these are versioned in subfolders.

Synchronised Browsing works well for me unless I go up a level locally that doesn't match the remote site. I sometimes like to go back down locally to a subfolder in say in a different version, but by now the local and remote drives are completely out of sync with one another and it starts asking me if I want to create folders on the remote drive.

Ideally, if Sync Browsing would only go up a level (remotely) if the folder names matched would work better.

Thanks,
Markos.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Synchronised Browsing

Markos wrote:

Ideally, if Sync Browsing would only go up a level (remotely) if the folder names matched would work better.
And what should it do then?

Markos

martin wrote:

And what should it do then?

I probably need to explain this better, but it works well in another FTP client.

Often we have sites on servers where the web assets are stored in "/public_html/". But locally, we don't have that folder, and in my case I can up the local tree into a parent folder and the down into another versioned folder.

What I would suggest is that if either local/remote panel were selected to go "up a level" (to a parent folder) that it would indeed do that, but if the other (local or remote) panel didn't have a matching parent folder name that it remained in the folder where it currently is. And then when the folder change was requested again that it only synchronised the browsing if a corresponding folder name was matched.

As an example, if I try and show it via "logic" then I might be able to explain myself a little better. When "Up a level" or a folder was double clicked it would be like this:

If (UpALevelLocal selected) {
   set activeFolderLocal = ParentFolderLocal;
   If (ParentFolderNameLocal == ParentFolderNameRemote) {
      set activeFolderRemote = ParentFolderRemote;
   }
}

etc.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

OK, so you want WinSCP to enter a state like "synchronized browsing wanted, but currently not possible - waiting for the user to synchronize the folders manually - and then synchronized browsing will be resumed".

Advertisement

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum