Refresh for internal editor; remember files with session

Advertisement

JavaJosh

Refresh for internal editor; remember files with session

Just got done using WinSCP for some serious DNS work. This would have been maddening without this great tool! This required many open files - it would be nice to be able to have a session that re-opens that set of files. [Corallary: permit bookmarking of files rather than just directories.]

At several points during testing I needed to view a log file. It would have been nice to just click "refresh" in the internal editor to get an update. This would function like a poor man's tail. Quite useful. [Currently the file can be closed and reopened.]

Last but not least, it would be nice to make "Edit" the default behavior for double clicking on remote files. [Currently one must right-click and then click "Edit" - the default behavior is "Open"]

P.S. It is very good that you allow anonymous posts for feature enhancements. Bravo!

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Refresh for internal editor; remember files with session

JavaJosh wrote:

Just got done using WinSCP for some serious DNS work. This would have been maddening without this great tool! This required many open files - it would be nice to be able to have a session that re-opens that set of files. [Corallary: permit bookmarking of files rather than just directories.]
Nice idea. But not easy to do. I have already following on the wishlist: command-line parameter to edit remote file. It may be a solution for you.

At several points during testing I needed to view a log file. It would have been nice to just click "refresh" in the internal editor to get an update. This would function like a poor man's tail. Quite useful. [Currently the file can be closed and reopened.]
OK, added to wishlist :-)

Last but not least, it would be nice to make "Edit" the default behavior for double clicking on remote files. [Currently one must right-click and then click "Edit" - the default behavior is "Open"]
See "Panels" tab of Preferences.

martin wrote:

JavaJosh wrote:

Nice idea. But not easy to do. I have already following on the wishlist: command-line parameter to edit remote file. It may be a solution for you.

Perhaps it would, if combined with a batch file and/or a command line that can accept multiple file names. The file names would ideally be arbitrary - /etc/named and /var/named/mydomain.com.db for example.

OK, added to wishlist :-)

Thanks!

See "Panels" tab of Preferences.

I thought this one I might have overlooked. Thanks for the pointer in the right direction. The "Open" command is so erratic that I believe "Edit" should be the default setting.

JavaJosh

A screenshot to show my pain

This is 6 zone files and /etc/hosts

Wouldn't it be nice to not have to load all of that? :lol:

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Anonymous wrote:

martin wrote:

JavaJosh wrote:

Perhaps it would, if combined with a batch file and/or a command line that can accept multiple file names. The file names would ideally be arbitrary - /etc/named and /var/named/mydomain.com.db for example.
This issue has been added to tracker.

Advertisement

jthomas08

update remote file changes on local copy..

I got the latest download for winscp..indispensable tool 4 devops..kudos!
I noticed when saving my local copy of remote files..winscp updates the remote file...
So is there a way to have winscp push updates to the local copy a remote of file (apache logs) ..I'd like to keep my local file open and have notepadd++ prompt for updates when there's an update...I thought winscp did a few versions back..

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: update remote file changes on local copy..

jthomas08 wrote:

I got the latest download for winscp..indispensable tool 4 devops..kudos!
I noticed when saving my local copy of remote files..winscp updates the remote file...
So is there a way to have winscp push updates to the local copy a remote of file (apache logs) ..I'd like to keep my local file open and have notepadd++ prompt for updates when there's an update...I thought winscp did a few versions back..
No WinSCP never supported this. WinSCP internal editor has Reload command though.
https://winscp.net/eng/docs/ui_editor

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum