Apparent Bug with Saving Logging Options in WinSCP 3.8.2-330

Advertisement

alfyj

Apparent Bug with Saving Logging Options in WinSCP 3.8.2-330

In the version of WinSCP that I am running, 3.82 (Build 330), there are a couple irregularities with the saving of the settings for Logging:

1. I am unable to save the Logging options and have them be restored after exiting WinSCP and then restarting it. No matter what I do in attempting to save this option, when I restart WinSCP, the check box to Enable Logging is checked, but the 'log to file' check box is unchecked, and no logging takes place. Also, the logging level stays stuck at debug2 level. I tried to save the Logging settings with the 'Save' button and also with the 'Set defaults' button on the Login box. I ran into this problem when I was trying to use the Logging function to record the activity of a backup script. I have instead used the /log=logfile option in the command line invocation of WinSCP which works fine; however, the logging appears to be at a debug level and eats a lot of disk space, since it reports the number of bytes sent and received for each packet.

2. The Logging options page is under the Sessions page in the WinSCP Login dialog on the version of WinSCP I have installed, contrary to the documentation on the web that comes up when I click 'Help'. The web documentation at https://winscp.net/eng/docs/ui_pref_logging states that "Unlike most of the tabs of Login dialog its settings are global, not per-session." When I click the "Logging Tab" link in the help page, it shows a different screen than I get from the version I have installed. Is it possible that I have an early build and that this bug is fixed in a later build? I did not find any posts related to 'Logging' on this forum since 3.8.2 was released. I will try to e-mail the screen caps I recorded of my version after I save this post, using the title of this post as the email subject.[/img]

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Apparent Bug with Saving Logging Options in WinSCP 3.8.2-330

alfyj wrote:

1. I am unable to save the Logging options and have them be restored after exiting WinSCP and then restarting it. No matter what I do in attempting to save this option, when I restart WinSCP, the check box to Enable Logging is checked, but the 'log to file' check box is unchecked, and no logging takes place. Also, the logging level stays stuck at debug2 level. I tried to save the Logging settings with the 'Save' button and also with the 'Set defaults' button on the Login box. I ran into this problem when I was trying to use the Logging function to record the activity of a backup script. I have instead used the /log=logfile option in the command line invocation of WinSCP which works fine; however, the logging appears to be at a debug level and eats a lot of disk space, since it reports the number of bytes sent and received for each packet.
As the settings on logging tab of login dialog are not per-session settings, they are not saved with the session, but only after the dialog is confirmed(i.e. when the login button is pressed). I may change this as it apparently causes confusion.

2. The Logging options page is under the Sessions page in the WinSCP Login dialog on the version of WinSCP I have installed, contrary to the documentation on the web that comes up when I click 'Help'. The web documentation at https://winscp.net/eng/docs/ui_pref_logging states that "Unlike most of the tabs of Login dialog its settings are global, not per-session." When I click the "Logging Tab" link in the help page, it shows a different screen than I get from the version I have installed. Is it possible that I have an early build and that this bug is fixed in a later build? I did not find any posts related to 'Logging' on this forum since 3.8.2 was released. I will try to e-mail the screen caps I recorded of my version after I save this post, using the title of this post as the email subject.[/img]
The screenshot in the doc is from preferences dialog, as it is explained on the page you refer to.

alfyj

Regarding the problem I was having saving the Logging settings, your instructions to click the login button to save the settings have solved my problem. Thanks.

Regarding the issue with the differing Preference dialog layouts, I checked it out a bit more, and I think I can explain the issue clearly now.

Actually, there are two different 'Preferences' dialogs accessed from two different GUI selections, with slightly different layouts:

1. Preferences dialog from 'WinSCP Login' dialog: select the 'Preferences' branch, and then click 'Other general options: Preferences' button, and one Preferences dialog opens. The 'Logging' branch does not appear in this dialog.

2. Preferences dialog from main WinSCP window after a session is connected, under the 'Options' Menu, click the 'Preferences' option and another Preferences dialog opens. The 'Logging' branch does appear in this dialog.

Finally, note that when you click the 'Help' button from the dialog in case 1, where no 'Logging' branch appears, a web page opens that shows the dialog from case 2, with 'Logging' present. This confused me for a while, but I understand now.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum