WinSCP.exe pulls 100 % CPU permanently.

Advertisement

Frank Meyer

WinSCP.exe pulls 100 % CPU permanently.

Hello,

that happens even if I have ended WinSCP a long time ago. The WinSCP.exe stays as a process exist.
What must I do so that WINSCP completely ends itself?

Thanks to, Frank

Advertisement

Ricardo
Donor
Ricardo avatar

WinSCP version 4.0.2 Build 344 (under WinXP SP2) is entering in a high-processor usage loop while trying to refresh a directory with many folders (more than 1800); happens if I use the "Refresh" button or after changing access permissions of some folder (what automatically leads to a refresh). Maybe it can occur in more events, but I only tested for these two cases.
Thanks.

P.S.: Auto-updates are off.

Advertisement

bohne

comparable problem

I have a comparable problem here with version 4.0.3 (Build 345) on Windows XP SP2. After a period of time when WinSCP is running, CPU consumption of WinSCP is permanently at 45%-49%. I don't know exactly how to reproduce it, but it happens nearly every day.

Thank you for your help

Advertisement

andy_germany

I have 'same' problem

Hello,

First, sorry for my bad English ;)
Second, thanks for your work on that great program ;)

I have the 'same' problem with cpu-usage but (only) from begin of a connection to end of connection and closing WinSCP.
So, when I close WinSCP, it runs and runs and runs with 100 % usage from one core.
If I start WinSCP without to initiate a connection, it's exiting correctly, but from start to initiate a con. to the end of WinSCP, it doesn't.

I had / have this problem by
WinSCP 4.0.4 build 346 and all previous versions after 3.8.2
On following sys: Win 2000 SP4 (Pentium 3, 1GHz) and WinXP SP2 (Pentium D 2,8 GHz)
On my notebook with WinXP SP2 and and Intel P4 3GHz I haven't this problem.

That's very confusing!
Thanks a lot!
Greets Andy

Advertisement

jholzy

Same Here

New install of XP SP2. Installed WinSCP 4.03 and had severe CPU drain so updated to 4.04 today. Problem persists but not as severe.

jholzy

Re: Same Here

I thought maybe it wasn't playing nice with some other program or process I had running so I started ending processes. WinSCP started working like expected but I wasn't able to narrow it down to which process was the offender. I'll keep working on it to figure out which one is the problem and report back here. I do not think it is a problem with WinSCP.

jholzy

Figured it out

This solved the problem on my PC.
<invalid hyperlink removed by admin>

CS3 seems to have been the bad guy with Adobe's "take-over-the-'puter" installation.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Figured it out

jholzy wrote:

This solved the problem on my PC.
<invalid hyperlink removed by admin>

CS3 seems to have been the bad guy with Adobe's "take-over-the-'puter" installation.
Thanks for the link.
What kind of problem has removing "Bonjour" actually solved? When did you have CPU problems? Please note that there are several (maybe) distinct problems described in this topic. Thanks.

Advertisement

High CPU usage caused by automatic updates

Hello, I had the same problems described here – permanent 50% CPU usage and WinSCP.exe stays running even after the app is closed. The problems disappeared when I disabled automatic updates in WinSCP. Now the only problem is that WinSCP hangs when I run "Check for updates".

sandralizbar

Heavy CPU Usage

Hello.

I am not well versed in this field but we had a script built that uses WinSCP to help us transfer files. It will grab files from a server, do other things and then drop them to several different servers. When we first turn it on it works great. It's supposed to be left running but we can't because it will shoot up the CPU to 100%. Before the memory would remain really low but now it's running pretty high too.

I cleaned up files and it's the only thing running. I turned off it off and noticed that the CPU and Memory remained at 100 and 73. The only tasks running are WinSCP. More than a dozen WinSCP tasks running at once. I have been searching for a solution and noticed that a lot of forum questions on here have a similar problem. Memory leaks, heavy CPU usage, and hanging. We are running on a cloud server so once the CPU is this high I can't even log on to the server with rdp file. Have to restart the whole server before I can use it again.

Thank you!
  • winscp.JPG (190.06 KB, Private file)
Description: There is nothing running currently on the server. I turned off the tool last night and came back to it this morning and the CPU/Memory is still the same and winscp tasks still open.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Heavy CPU Usage

@sandralizbar: If there's only one (few) WinSCP process running, does it have 100% CPU or also low? Isn't your problem that you do not exit the script at the end? So you end up with lot of idle WinSCP processes, which eventualy clog the system?

sandralizbar

There is only ever supposed to be one WinSCP process running at a time, yes. You are correct it appears that even though the script tells it to end/exit at the end of each process they don't and we end up with a lot of idle WinSCP processed that eventually clog up the system.

In the beginning, before the build-up, the CPU and memory usage is at 30% each. Sometimes it will make it through each process (15 total) once and then the buildup begins and other times it can't make it through before it shoots up to 100%. At one point it ran smoothly for weeks. For months now it keeps doing this.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

@sandralizbar: Please attach a full session log file (using the latest version of WinSCP).

To generate the session log file, use /log=C:\path\to\winscp.log command-line argument. Submit the log with your post as an attachment. Note that passwords and passphrases not stored in the log. You may want to remove other data you consider sensitive though, such as host names, IP addresses, account names or file names (unless they are relevant to the problem). If you do not want to post the log publicly, you can mark the attachment as private.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum