"Searching for Host .. network error, timed out"

Advertisement

IReadFAks

"Searching for Host .. network error, timed out"

I have been using WinScp for about 6 months without any issues whatsoever.

Recently I changed my physical residence. Since my ISP serves both residences, I was able to move my internet access over without problem.

The move did however, cause WinSCP to be unable to connect to my web hosting site ie I was unable to connect to my web server via sftp using WinSCP.

The problem turned out to be that the Web Hosting company has to open a "hole" in their firewall for each ip address that uses SFTP. When I changed my residence address, the dynamic ip address machinery gave me a new IP address. The problem was resolved by contacting the web hosting company and getting them to open a "hole" in their firewall for the new ip address.

I hope this helps anyone in the same situation. With my ISP there are two levels of service, one with dynamic IP addresses and one with fixed ip addresses (much more expensive). So if you are unable to connect with WinSCP, check that your IP address has not changed and if it has, contact the admin of the target machine and get him to open a new hole in their firewall for the new IP address.

No need for a response Martin, excellent program.

Advertisement

Unfortunately this didn't help me. The IP address didn't change since yesterday. This client worked all day yesterday when I was using it to mod my iphone. Today, when I went to login it says this every time: "searching for host..."

then a pop-up comes up and says (with a big red X on it): "Network error: Connection timed out"

!Lauren<3

I wanted to repost this now that I am logged in =)

Unfortunately this didn't help me. The IP address didn't change since yesterday. This client worked all day yesterday when I was using it to mod my iphone. Today, when I went to login it says this every time: "searching for host..."

then a pop-up comes up and says (with a big red X on it): "Network error: Connection timed out"

michelle

getting the same error message.what am i doing wrong??

Anonymous wrote:

:x :x

Advertisement

Riyaz

Searching for the host,timed out

Hi,

I am trying to connect SFTP for external load balancer,it is showing searching for host and finally ends with time out.
Can you please help in this

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Searching for the host,timed out

Riyaz wrote:

I am trying to connect SFTP for external load balancer,it is showing searching for host and finally ends with time out.
Can you please help in this
Can you connect with any other SFTP client?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Anonymous wrote:

Yes, I have tried the result is same.
OK, but then you do not have a problem with WinSCP. It's rather a general network connectivity problem. Please ask about that at an suitable site, like https://superuser.com/

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum