WinSCP freezes when it starts

Advertisement

gaza30

WinSCP freezes when it starts

When I open winscp it freezes when opening and never starts working. I've uninstalled and reinstalled a few time with exactly the same results. Before it never opened the outer white window that's new to just now when i reinstalled it again but it still froze and the background text is all still missing.

I understand this may not be a WinSCP issue and rather something affecting it but I've uninstalled everything from my device that is unnecessary and this was working fine until a day or so ago and I've not added anything new to my computer recently.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Gary

winscp.png

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Win SCP freezes when it starts

Thanks for your reports.
I have sent you an email with a debug version of WinSCP to the address you have used to register on this forum.

GµårÐïåñ

please count me in

I came to file an issue but saw this and figured why litter the forum with new topics when I can keep it here in the same place, might be more helpful to you.
  • WinSCP v5.15.3 (Build 9730)

• Not sure when it started as it has done it in the past but never this excessively or long usually less than a minute the interface resumes being interactive (meaning you can use it like intended and not being frozen anymore).

• Windows 10 Pro (1903) x64 (Build 18362.239)

• SFTP protocol (I don't think it's the protocol as all my sites have it and they have never had issues)

• Commander GUI (Dark) NOTE: I launch everything directly from the shortcuts but going to main does the same thing, as seen in the screenshots posted above by others, if it helps.

• no error, just hangs on startup and header changes to (Not Responding) for a minimum of 3 minutes (meaning eventually "resumes events" on occasion) and I have let it go for as long as 22 mins and had to force close it, not sure what it is doing and doing so hard during that time that it literally locks itself up and of course the CPU and Memory usage goes through the roof during this time, so one thing I'd like to know is what is it doing? What is processing? What is transferring? when I haven't even done anything yet other than load it up that it can't respond to the user interaction for so long? If there is info somewhere, let me know and I will send it to you.

• Precise steps are really easy, start the program and then you can't do anything. I wish it was an error during actually doing something, that I can understand, this makes no sense.

• If you like, I can record it for you but all you are going to see is 5+ minutes of a program with the (Not Responding) frozen doing nothing, if that helps, I'll make it.

• Not a problem with the remote server as it "connects" just fine to the remote server and shows the content of the remote directory content, the local directory content but no interaction possible, just sits there frozen until you force kill it. I have connected to this server using WinSCP for over 5 years at minimum, so not the remote server.
Small bit of anecdotal observation that "may" help you or not because as a developer myself, I always dig into things and try to find a solution before I reach out, and I have noticed that if you have say "shortcuts" on the local directory that load that happen to point to a mounted drive (aka UNC path) and the server is in "idle" mode (when Windows for some stupid reason shows the red x on it even though it is connected and when you select the drive it immediately shows the content so certainly not disconnected but applications tend to have trouble with this state, so it seems that on those instances, it is "stuck" trying to parse all the shortcuts and symlinks before proceeding, perhaps we can put a cap on how long it tries before moving on or maybe not even check at all, I think it might resolve this. Just FYI.

Let me know if I can help you or give anything more to help you narrow it down. Happy to help.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: please count me in

@GµårÐïåñ: Thanks for your reports.

It seems that all reports in this topic share the dark theme.

Can you confirm that? Do you have only WinSCP set to the dark theme? Or whole Windows? Does the problem go away, if you turn dark theme in WinSCP or in Windows (but keep WinSCP dark)? - Can you try both options?

Advertisement

GµårÐïåñ

You are very welcome, happy to test them for you, here is the plan I have, let me know if I missed anything and I will report back on my findings.

Current: Windows (set to Dark) WinSCP (set to Dark)
Plan:
  • Windows (switch to Light/default) WinSCP (keep Dark)
  • Windows (switch to Light/default) WinSCP (switch to light/default)
  • Windows (set to Dark) WinSCP (switch to light/default)
Did I miss any condition? In the meantime, I'll gather the data and get back to you.

GµårÐïåñ

results

Sorry for the delay, had a bunch of meetings this morning, but here you go ...
  1. Windows (switch to Light/default) WinSCP (keep Dark)
    => no issue during this test (24.7 seconds of freeze after connect – pretty normal)

2. Windows (switch to Light/default) WinSCP (switch to light/default)
    => no issue during this test (until you try to drag and drop file transfers – via right click menus work fine, no lock up – not normal)

3. Windows (set to Dark) WinSCP (switch to light/default)
    => no issue during this test (until you try to drag and drop, 47 second freeze, right click works fine)

4. Windows (set to Dark) WinSCP (set to automatic – goes dark) !Done due to observations of #1 and #3!
    => no issue during this test (until you try to drag from local to remote, froze 33 seconds, right click froze 14 seconds then resumed, drag from remote to local worked without issue and of course right click worked fine)
I don't know if that helps you or you got what you need, but let me know and I will do more if you have a specific test-case beyond above.

gaza30

Sorry for the late reply after you emailed about this issue in reference to dark mode.

I can confirm after switching windows to light mode I now seem to have full functionality again. Will monitor it over the next few days but i can literally switch abck and open it freezes switch light and open its fine.

Thanks for the help martin so far

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: results

GµårÐïåñ wrote:

Sorry for the delay, had a bunch of meetings this morning, but here you go ...
Did I understand right that you cannot reproduce the problem anymore?

(24.7 seconds of freeze after connect – pretty normal)
Did you get that in the test 1 only? Or in all others (as you consider it "normal")?

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

gaza30 wrote:

I can confirm after switching windows to light mode I now seem to have full functionality again. Will monitor it over the next few days but i can literally switch abck and open it freezes switch light and open its fine.
Thanks. Can you test the other scenarios as well - light Windows, dark WinSCP and dark Windows light WinSCP?

GµårÐïåñ

martin wrote:

No, it still happens, just not 100% of the time.

Did you get that in the test 1 only? Or in all others (as you consider it "normal")?
Normal as in this delay is always and very common, so just part of the performance of the application, so I subtract that from the issue of permanent freezing. Make sense? Its quite often laggy and hangs, but eventually it moves on, but when it stays stuck to the point of being forced closed after 20 mins of waiting, then yeah that's what I consider not normal.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. No issue means it is behaving like it always does, lags and all. Plus, if it loads the interface without freezing, then considered no issue, until the condition in the parenthesis is encountered, aka the not normally seen problem. Does that make sense now? But just because it doesn't freeze on load doesn't mean it is working right when you actually need to do something, hence the distinction between { fine (not fine) }

sam0

Also having this issue

Hi, I'm suddenly experiencing a similar issue as well on a new Windows 10 Pro machine. Enforcing light theme did not help.
My screen does not actually freeze, but all hostnames are blank and I cannot press any buttons or select any sessions.

From the taskbar I can also select a specific session, in this case it will connect but show no files.

This is happening in 95% of times I start the program now.

winscp.png

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Also having this issue

@sam0: Thanks for your report.

Can you send me an email, so I can send you back a debug version of WinSCP to track the problem? Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have sent the email. Thanks.

You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

GµårÐïåñ wrote:

martin wrote:

No, it still happens, just not 100% of the time.
Thanks for your report.
I have sent you an email with a debug version of WinSCP to the address you have used to register on this forum.

GµårÐïåñ

Invalid access to memory - Vcl::Comctrls::TTreeNode::GetTreeView

Immediately upon running the dev version you sent, this pops up. (see attached)
WinSCP 5.16

Error message:
Invalid access to memory.

Stack trace:
(003A85A3) Vcl::Comctrls::TTreeNode::GetTreeView
(00087C8F) ntdll.dll
(00073131) ntdll.dll.KiUserExceptionDispatcher
(003ACDDA) Vcl::Comctrls::TCustomTreeView::CNNotify
(0053ED00) Customdriveview::TCustomDriveView::CNNotify
(00DA288A) TCustomUnixDriveView::Dispatch
(001D4335) Vcl::Controls::TControl::WndProc
(001D9FD3) Vcl::Controls::TWinControl::WndProc
(003AD096) Vcl::Comctrls::TCustomTreeView::WndProc
(001D3E36) Vcl::Controls::TControl::Perform
(001DA1C0) Vcl::Controls::_17099
(001DADCB) Vcl::Controls::TWinControl::WMNotify
(001D9524) Vcl::Controls::TWinControl::MainWndProc
(004A0230) System::Classes::_18201
(000438E9) USER32.dll
(00025137) USER32.dll
(00024CD5) USER32.dll
(0002D6BD) USER32.dll
(000730EB) ntdll.dll.KiUserCallbackDispatcher
(00024AA6) USER32.dll.CallWindowProcW
(000245AE) USER32.dll.SendMessageW
(00059431) COMCTL32.DLL
(0001DB15) COMCTL32.DLL
(0001D9EA) COMCTL32.DLL
(000234F8) COMCTL32.DLL
(000438E9) USER32.dll
(00025137) USER32.dll
(0002468A) USER32.dll.CallWindowProcW
(001DA146) Vcl::Controls::TWinControl::DefaultHandler
(001D9524) Vcl::Controls::TWinControl::MainWndProc
(004A0230) System::Classes::_18201
(000438E9) USER32.dll
(00025137) USER32.dll
(00024CD5) USER32.dll
(0002D6BD) USER32.dll
(000730EB) ntdll.dll.KiUserCallbackDispatcher
(00024AB3) USER32.dll.CallWindowProcW
(000245AE) USER32.dll.SendMessageW
(00181413) Winapi::Commctrl::TreeView_SelectItem
(003A8C86) Vcl::Comctrls::TTreeNode::SetSelected
(0053BC35) Customdriveview::TCustomDriveView::CreateWnd
(00D9F433) TCustomUnixDriveView::CreateWnd
(00DA2312) TUnixDriveView::CreateHandle
(001DDCD8) Vcl::Controls::TWinControl::HandleNeeded
(0053F558) Customdriveview::TCustomDriveView::CMRecreateWnd
(001D90C7) Vcl::Controls::TWinControl::RecreateWnd
(005408F9) Customdriveview::TCustomDriveView::SetDarkMode
(00032286) TCustomScpExplorerForm::UpdateControls
(00065189) TScpCommanderForm::UpdateControls
(00063524) TScpCommanderForm::DoShow
(00250C50) Vcl::Forms::TCustomForm::CMShowingChanged
(00034EBF) TCustomScpExplorerForm::CMShowingChanged
(000348C3) TCustomScpExplorerForm::Dispatch
(0024C02C) Vcl::Forms::TCustomForm::WndProc
(00FC202C) Vclcommon::C2999_0
(00FC510C) DoFormWindowProc
(00FC21E5) Vclcommon::C2999_0
(001D927C) Vcl::Controls::TWinControl::UpdateShowing
(001D93A2) Vcl::Controls::TWinControl::UpdateControlState
(001DCA2D) Vcl::Controls::TWinControl::CMVisibleChanged
(00034911) TCustomScpExplorerForm::Dispatch
(0024C02C) Vcl::Forms::TCustomForm::WndProc
(00FC5309) DoFormWindowProc
(00FC21E5) Vclcommon::C2999_0
(001D1F6C) Vcl::Controls::TControl::SetVisible
(0024B769) Vcl::Forms::TCustomForm::SetVisible
(00257E49) Vcl::Forms::TApplication::Run
(00128438) Execute
(0000315D) wWinMain
(01109815) C5172_0
(00066A92) ntdll.dll.RtlGetAppContainerNamedObjectPath
(00066A5F) ntdll.dll.RtlGetAppContainerNamedObjectPath

Description: error presented when starting the program

Annotation 2019-08-20 122212.png

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Invalid access to memory - Vcl::Comctrls::TTreeNode::GetTreeView

@GµårÐïåñ: Can you please email me the trace log file, as per the instructions in my email? Please do not post debug version stuff of the forum.

Advertisement

GµårÐïåñ

It seemed like it was sent from the board, so that's why I assumed you wanted it linked to the report, my bad.

I will happily send them to you in the email, I had to stop using the debug version but I did preserve the state, so I can send it to you.

But, I noticed there is WAY too much information in there including all the locations, passwords, and so on and I don't feel comfortable giving you (or anyone for that matter) all of that, so if you can tell me what part of the log you actually need instead of the whole kit c hen sink and how I can properly sanitize it, I will happily send it to you.

That's why I posted the actual technicals above as a compromise, that should be sufficient to know which module in your code is causing it. As a developer, from above I would know where to look for what's causing the error. Even I don't know your code I can tell it has to do with an issue of how your tree control is interacting with the system to handle dark mode.

Advise on how else I can help you and I will do my best to give you what you need. But due to the nature of my work, I have limitations of what I can share with you.

PS: Really the word "kit{chen}" without the curly is a spam word? Seriously?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

GµårÐïåñ wrote:

But, I noticed there is WAY too much information in there including all the locations, passwords, and so on and I don't feel comfortable giving you (or anyone for that matter) all of that, so if you can tell me what part of the log you actually need instead of the whole kit c hen sink and how I can properly sanitize it, I will happily send it to you.
Search for "[WinMain.cpp:729:Execute] Entry" (the number may differ) and you can remove everything before that.

PS: Really the word "kit{chen}" without the curly is a spam word? Seriously?
Well, yes seriously. 99% of posts on this forum with that keyword is spam.

GµårÐïåñ

martin wrote:

Well, yes seriously. 99% of posts on this forum with that keyword is spam.
That is the sad and unfortunate state of our world that I was commenting on, by no means you or why you have to protect yourself. My shock is at the world where such a benign word would be weaponized :)

I'll get you that log ASAP and send it via email, not here, got it.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum