Refresh directory listing on browse

Advertisement

Sumudu

Refresh directory listing on browse

Is there some setting that makes winscp refresh the listing on browsing? Here's the scenario:

In winscp, I browse to some directory, say /usr/bin, do whatever, and then browse back to /usr.

Then, through another program (e.g. shell session) I create a file or directory in /usr/bin, or alternatively some process does the same.

Then in WinSCP, if I browse back to /usr/bin, I get the *old* listing – until I manually hit Refresh.

Any suggestions? Or should this be a feature request? If this doesn't exist, it could reasonably be lumped into the "automatically refresh directory after operation" setting (that is, browsing to a new directory could count as an operation)

Advertisement

jims@...

Re: Refresh directory listing on browse

I've noticed the same behavior. Try moving up one level, or more, and then refresh.

Sumudu

Yes, I know that I can manually refresh to work around this.

But I think it would be better if there were an option to have WinSCP automatically ensure that it displays a current directory listing whenever I open a directory. I understand that it might not be a desirable default because it would slow down opening directories containing many files.

Cicciolinuks

easier answer

To the developers: could be present a button that shows the state of every open directory? Cashed or fresh. Or when it was last time cached.

To improve the answer (that requires to follow 3 or 4 links to get the following):
  1. If you don't have saved sessions, the login page will appear opening WinSCP, else click on "New session" on the session panel; the "Login" window will be open.
  2. Then select one of your servers and click on "Edit". Finally you are in the Advanced Site Settings.
  3. click on "Directories"; On the bottom there are few options, the one you want is: "Cache visited remote directories" AND/OR "Cache directory changes".
Of course this is for one server, you have to redo for others

Advertisement

spechter

It would be really awesome to have a toggle-button in the UI to:
  1. turn caching on/off in an active session
  2. Allow a use to know the status of caching on the screen.
Having to dig into the advanced options, before a connection, to change unexpected behaviour is a royal pain.

Otherwise WinSCP is an incredible tool, impeccably developed. Kudos to the developer. Which is why I was surprised to encounter this little annoyance!

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum