Temporary Directory Tree

Advertisement

edbehn

Temporary Directory Tree

I use WinSCP to maintain/update web files from a linux host. As a temporary directory I use "My Documents/webwork" In a version prior to 4.1.8 it appeared that the edited file was stored in the directory "My Documents/webwork/scpnnnnn" (where n is temporary random number). The edited file was stored imediately under the scp.... directory regardless of its directory tree location on the server. This allowed me to put an /images and /style directory within My Documents/webwork and with a relative reference to images and style sheets my external editor (Kompozer) was able to pick up these files so my display showed the web page as it would appear on the live site.

Was something changed in 4.1.8 since now the directory structure of the edited file appears under the scpnnnn directory and the relative references no longer work.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement

edbehn

Temporary Directory Tree

After reading the link to documentation I see the benefit of having the directory tree shown when there are multiple files being edited with the same name via different paths.

I think a reasonable compromise would be to have an option under the Storage settings that allows someone to choose the behaviour of how relative paths are shown (or not shown).

WinSCP is a great program and this suggested flexibility would make it even more outstanding!.

Thanks!

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Temporary Directory Tree

OK, will see if more people ask for that. To be honest, the way you use WinSCP is rather a hack, so I would like to see a more reasonable use for the feature first.

dbehn

Thanks for the response.

I agree this is not the most sophisticated approach but I'm not aware of any other local editor methods that allows me to access the server based pages and get some reasonable fidelity to the original look of the site.

If you or anyone has other suggestions I'd very much like to hear them. I'm not wedded to komposer, but it does provide both wysiwyg as well as raw source editing which is needed on .jsp pages.

Thanks,

Ed

Advertisement

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum