WinSCP failed to copy a file

Advertisement

fAN1100

WinSCP failed to copy a file

Hi
I think WinSCP is a great product, but I found a problem with a transfer of files from a Linux webserver to my local Windoze machine:

Files and folders on server: 1314
Files and folders copied by Winscp: 1313
I.e. one file was not copied over
When I did a sync in WinSCP, then WinSCP found the difference and copied the file.

Any explanation would be much appreciated....could this be a problem with FTP itself? Is there a better protocol to use that would error check more?

Thank you for you time.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: WinSCP failed to copy a file

Was the file present in remote directory before the download started?
What is a name of the file? For security reasons WinSCP does not display file with suspicious filenames (such as dots only) in file panel. Hence you cannot select them for download.

fAN1100

martin wrote:

Was the file present in remote directory before the download started?
What is a name of the file? For security reasons WinSCP does not display file with suspicious filenames (such as dots only) in file panel. Hence you cannot select them for download.

Hi,

Thank you for your quick response.

I am quite sure that the file was present before the transfer.
The reason I know that is that I am evaluating FireFTP, WinSCP and FileZilla - I did that by transfering a Drupal installation on a Linux webserver to 3 different folders (Named FireFTP, WinSCP and FileZilla ) on my local computer.
Then I used ViceVersa to compare the folders to see if all clients copied all files.
FileZilla copied all files but one file was incomplete - it was a php text file.
WinSCP had one file missing.
Once I ran WinSCP sync between its folder and the server, then WinSCP saw it had one file missing and copied it from server to local.

I do not remember what the file name was, but it was not an unusual name, the other clients copied it over, and it is a file that is a normal part of a Drupal installation.

I was surprised to see WinSCP not copy one file, and FileZilla copy only a part of a file. Is that normal for FTP? Is FTP that error prone?

Thanks ahead for your time and effort.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

It is hard to give any answers not knowing real cause. Please try to find what was the file like.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum