High CPU-Load on Windows XP Prof. / Low transfer-rates

Advertisement

J.Freezer

High CPU-Load on Windows XP Prof. / Low transfer-rates

Hello together!

I am using WinSCO 3.42. I have a Suse Linux 9.0 Prof. Server (Athlon XP 2200+) and a WinXP Prof. PC (P4 2,53 Ghz) connected via a 100MBit Switch.

The CPU-Load at a transfer from the Linux Server is:

Linux: ~20%
Win: ~90-100%

Speed: ~1,8MB/sec

That's pretty low speed and a high CPU usage on the windows machine, especially for decoding (that should be faster than encoding?!). Have I configured something wrong? My PCs are capable of more MB/s, Harddisks running in DMA mode and are fast (7200rpm WD). No other programm stresses the PCs and/or HDs.

I am using SCP, not changed standard options.

Hope you can help me!

Bye!

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: High CPU-Load on Windows XP Prof. / Low transfer-rates

You may try to select some less demanding encryption algorithm. Also select SSH1 instead of SSH2, if allowed. It is less secure, but much faster.

J.Freezer

martin wrote:

You may try to select some less demanding encryption algorithm. Also select SSH1 instead of SSH2, if allowed. It is less secure, but much faster.

Thx, now it works with ~6,2MB/sec at 100% CPU-Load.

But I think you have to work on the algorhythms a bit, the CPU-usage for decoding is a lot too heavy.

But nevertheless it's a very good programm. Better than a lot of programms you have to pay for.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

J.Freezer wrote:

But I think you have to work on the algorhythms a bit, the CPU-usage for decoding is a lot too heavy.
I have not implemented the algorhythms myself, I'm using Putty SSH client for SSH.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum