Docs: Style is hard to read/skim thru/use as a reference

Advertisement

Docs: Style is hard to read/skim thru/use as a reference

For example...

WinSCP :: Commander Tab (Preferences Dialog) wrote:

Panels Options

Use Explorer-style selection to choose whether Windows Explorer-style selection of files shall be used. You can use the selection style for both keyboard and mouse or for mouse only.
...in this example, the actual option/checkbox you are looking for info about is included in a sentence & italicized...which is hard to find at-a-glance. I don't wanna read each sentence to find the checkbox I want info on.

This would be easier to read/scan/skim/use as a reference...

WinSCP :: Commander Tab (Preferences Dialog) wrote:

Panels
    Explorer-style selection
      Use this option to choose whether Windows Explorer-style selection of files shall be used. You can use the selection style for both keyboard and mouse or for mouse only.
...note the changes...

Panels Options -> Panels
      This is to stay in sync with the name of the groupbox on the dialog. You could add an "Options" top-level heading & group all options (for example "Panels") under that.
    Option name removed from sentence & bolded (or given a heading tag {h2, h3})
    Everything indented under what it belongs to
...note that this is just 1 example on 1 page & this style should be used on all the Docs pages. I hope this don't sound like I'm complaining, the Docs are really good, just with a little more/different styling, they'd be easier to use as a reference.

Note this other issue on that page...the groupbox on the screenshot is called "Compare directory criterions", which actually sounds weird ("criterions"?), but also does not match the text in the Docs, "Compare Directory Criteria", which sounds better. So, if that screenshot is really current, that text needs changed in the program to match the Docs, since the Docs version sounds better. Basically, I mean the screenshot/program & Help text need to always be in sync...& in this particular case, the Docs has better-sounding text/language.

Is there a reason all the "Help" buttons in WinSCP open a browser to the Docs on the website? I'd like to click the Question mark in the dialog (& have the mouse change to a ?-mark {& not open a web browser}), then click an item in the dialog, to get a popup with help on that item (not the full page with help on all options)...& perhaps the popup could have a link to the full docs on the website for that dialog. Sometimes clicking Help on an error msg links to the website to a page that mentions a bunch of error msgs, but not the one I clicked Help from. Clicking Help should always take you directly to whatever you wanted Help on, be it a checkbox/option or an error msg.

Advertisement

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum