How to set UTF-8 = "On" as default?

Advertisement

Wamiduku

How to set UTF-8 = "On" as default?

In the environment settings, you can set UTF-8 encoding for filenames to Auto, On or Off before you connect. The default is Auto, but it doesn't work (at least not with åäö/ÅÄÖ). How do you change the default to "On", so that you don't have to set it every time you connect?

Advertisement

Wamiduku

Yes, I can save it for a specific session, but I don't use saved sessions.

The reason for not using saves sessions, is that when the network goes down, WinSCP can reconnect unattended with a pre-entered password. If you use a saved session, WinSCP can't reconnect unattended because it needs you to enter the password again. (Well, you could save the password in the saved session, but that's a bad idea.)

Wamiduku wrote:

The reason for not using saves sessions, is that when the network goes down, WinSCP can reconnect unattended with a pre-entered password.
...while I could never imagine not using Saved Sessions, I did some testing...I never knew if you entered the password on that dialog, before connecting, it would "keep it around". So far, I've always been double-clicking on the Saved Session, typing the password (cuz I don't save the password in the Session), then I click Open Terminal & have to type the password again. During testing however, I selected a Saved Session, clicked Edit, typed the Password in that box, as if I was gonna save it to the Session, but then pressed Enter (aka Login)...that allows me to "login automatically" without typing the password 500 more times. Nice.

So, some requests...

• Can you have the "Password Prompt" (what you get by double-clicking a Saved Session that doesn't have a password) have a checkbox that would do it the way I described above?..."keep the password handy"
  • Maybe have a Session setting for the above "Keep password handy" checkbox...(so the default state of the checkbox can be a per-Session setting)
...I don't wanna save the password in the Session, but I also don't wanna, select it, press Edit, type the password in that box, then press Enter. I want to double-click, type the password there & not type it again for that Session.

martin wrote:

See Set defaults button...
...ah, I guess that'd do it. One Question: is there a way to undo "Set Defaults"? Get back to the real defaults?

Speaking of "Reset to Defaults"...is there an easy way to "Reset the Toolbars to Defaults"? Previously, I really screwed up my toolbars (because they are not locked by default), then I dug into the settings/registry & deleted (backing up of course!) the settings related to toolbars, that made it worse, instead of not finding the settings & using defaults, it really messed it up more (this was a while ago, so I'm trying to remember). Then I deleted the whole key about toolbar settings & then that did reset it (so not finding the registry key = reset, finding blank toolbar info/not finding a registry key's value = wonky). In general, I accomplished what I wanted, to "Reset the Toolbars to Defaults", but it wasn't easy.

So, more requests...

• Can you Lock the Toolbars by default?
    ...&/or...
  • Have a really easy way to Reset them?
Also, is WinSCP.ini the default settings location now? I started with WinSCP 3.8.2 & I guess it defaulted to the registry & every version since seems to be keeping the registry default (I know I can change that radio button to the ini, but I haven't yet).

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Anonymous wrote:

• Can you have the "Password Prompt" (what you get by double-clicking a Saved Session that doesn't have a password) have a checkbox that would do it the way I described above?..."keep the password handy"
  • Maybe have a Session setting for the above "Keep password handy" checkbox...(so the default state of the checkbox can be a per-Session setting)
...I don't wanna save the password in the Session, but I also don't wanna, select it, press Edit, type the password in that box, then press Enter. I want to double-click, type the password there & not type it again for that Session.
Will consider that.
Meanwhile you can fake that by checking the Remember password of main session for background transfers.

...ah, I guess that'd do it. One Question: is there a way to undo "Set Defaults"? Get back to the real defaults?
Only be cleaning up respective section of configuration storage.

Speaking of "Reset to Defaults"...is there an easy way to "Reset the Toolbars to Defaults"?
Not, except the way you've found alredy.

So, more requests...

Can you Lock the Toolbars by default?
Not sure if it is good idea.

Also, is WinSCP.ini the default settings location now? I started with WinSCP 3.8.2 & I guess it defaulted to the registry & every version since seems to be keeping the registry default (I know I can change that radio button to the ini, but I haven't yet).
INI is default for portable package, registry is default for installation package.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum