Does WinSCP encrypt your login username and password as well? How do you configure it to do so with Putty?

Advertisement

paulw@projecthired.org

Does WinSCP encrypt your login username and password as well? How do you configure it to do so with Putty?

This is one of those blazing questions that everyone asks, but everyone answers "around". Perhaps it's taken for granted, but I really need a confirmation.

I am trying to set a co-worker up with web editing access to our website. She is not linux-experienced, so I need to come up with as simple a way to upload/download files from numerous remote locations as I can. Public/Private key setup is not an option,

I'm pretty sure that out of the box, WinSCP transmits login information in the clear. Is it possible to set WinSCP to encrypt login information without the need for public/private keys, but instead, using the SSH default protocol?

Thank you.

Reply with quote E-mail

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Does WinSCP encrypt your login username and password as well? How do you configure it to do so with Putty?

paulw@projecthired.org wrote:

I'm pretty sure that out of the box, WinSCP transmits login information in the clear.
Why do you think so?

Is it possible to set WinSCP to encrypt login information without the need for public/private keys, but instead, using the SSH default protocol?
SSH is the only protocol that WinSCP knows. So it always uses it. So it never sends login information in clear.

Paul Wolborsky

I couldn't ask for a better confirmation. Thank you.

I had "erred on the side of security". I just needed the confirmation that WinSCP would be a secure, and easy tool to use.

Now that I have the confirmation that WinSCP encrypts both login and transmits via SSH. We will use WinSCP for our web project now. Thank you, Martin. It takes a big load off my shoulder (now only if you could fight 100 other fires for me :) ).

;> Paul

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum