Recent Version History
This is a list of changes for each release of WinSCP. See also project history.
5.8.2 (not released yet)
- TLS/SSL core upgraded to OpenSSL 1.0.2f.
- When FTP server does not provide precise timestamp, but the timestamp otherwise matches timestamp of the last uploaded version of the file, using precise timestamp of the uploaded version instead. 1395
- Improvements to code/script generation:
- Script or .NET assembly code can be generated for file transfers.
- Suggesting command-line to use to execute generated script.
-Property switch to initialize
SessionOptions properties in PowerShell.
- Not using
my prefix for VB.NET variables.
- No redundant declaration of instantiated object variables type in VB.NET.
- Not highlighting script strings.
- Larger initial size of Generate URL/Code dialog, when starting on Script/Code page.
- Bug fix: Session timeout was incorrectly set in seconds, instead of milliseconds.
- Bug fix: Generate Code dialog could not be closed with
- Local custom commands for local files. 1396
- Retrieving seconds-precision timestamps using
MDTM command, if the server provides them. 1221
- Improvements to .NET assembly:
Session.ScanFingerprint to scan server’s hostkey or certificate fingerprint. 1394
TransferOptions.ResumeSupport is settable.
TransferResumeSupport.Threshold automatically sets
- Change: Remote custom commands cannot be executed with focus on local panel.
- Bug fix: Error when accessing a local directory junction on Windows XP/2003. 1392
- Bug fix: The
/loglevel switch did not apply when used with pre-configured log file
- Bug fix: SSPI/NTLM/Negotiate authentication is endlessly retried with WebDAV protocol. 1397
- Bug fix: User is not informed when SSPI/NTLM/Negotiate authentication fails.
- SSH core and private key tools (PuTTYgen and Pageant) upgraded to the latest development snapshot of PuTTY (2015-12-22, commit 51465fa). It brings following changes:
- Support for ChaCha20-Poly1305 authenticated encryption. chacha20-poly1305
- Support for Curve25519 key exchange. curve25519
- Support for ECDSA keys in PuTTY and PuTTYgen. 1390 ecdsa
- Support for Ed25519 user and host keys. ed25519
- WinSCP prefers host-key types it already has cached or configured (in scripting). hostkey-prefer-cached
- Support for OpenSSH encrypt-then-MAC scheme. encrypt-then-mac
- Support using public-only key files.
- Support for OpenSSH’s new key format.
- Support for DER encoded binary certificates. 1388
- Correcting DST adjustments of FTP timestamps by IIS FTP server. 1380
- Dual code signing binaries with both SHA-1 and SHA-256.
- Improvements to code/script generation:
- Syntax highlighting for generated code.
- Command-line switches, script commands and their switches, and .NET assembly classes, methods and properties in generated code link to online documentation.
- Warning when a server hostkey is not known when generating a code.
- Not including the
/console switch in a generated command-line.
- Separate display for an executable path, when generating a command-line.
# for comments as on the Wiki.
- Made it obvious that a path to log file in generated code needs to be set to a real writable path. 1391
- Installer upgraded to Inno Setup 5.5.8.
- A Welcome Screen has been removed.
- Using actual system language name on About dialog if the name is not provided by a (uncomplete) translation.
- Closing application when Login dialog opened after handling URL with “save” extension is canceled.
- Change: Deprecating
Session.IniFilePath in favor of
- Prolonging countdown only after mouse moves substantially over message box with “timeout” button. 1386
- More user-friendly error message when a wrong passphrase is used for a client certificate.
- When a passphrase for a client certificate is not provided, the authentication continues.
- Identifying as WinSCP (including version) in FTP
- Sending FTP
CLNT command even to FileZilla FTP server.
- Smarter merging of new encryption and KEX algorithms to existing preference lists.
- Change: Not allowing SSH-1 by default.
- Moving SSH-1-only options to less prominent positions on Advanced Site Settings dialog and removing SSH-2-only designations of session options.
- Refreshing download link when automatic update fails.
- Closing update window after displaying error message for automatic update.
- Bug fix: When opening
ssh:// URL in PuTTY or handling URL with a save extension, a main window was opened.
- Bug fix: Missing help link for Internal Editor page of Preferences dialog.
- Bug fix:
Ctrl+L keyboard shortcuts on Commander interface in Location profiles bookmark mode do not focus the Local directory box, when a local panel has focus.
- Bug fix: Script and .NET assembly code tabs were not hidden on Generate file URL dialog.
- Bug fix: Timeout when uploading to FTP over TLS and proxy when the FTP server responds with
1xy before proxy connection is processed. 1381
- Bug fix: Failure when displaying hint on color menu. 1382
- Bug fix: Failure when transferring files from command-line. 1383
- Bug fix: Failure on exit.
- Bug fix: Wrong background color of some progress windows parts when system themes are disabled. 1384
- Bug fix: Failure when displaying hint on floating toolbar. 1385
- Bug fix: Failure when connecting using FTP with empty password. 1387
- Bug fix: Too long automatic bug reports were rejected.
- Bug fix: Failure when reading a private key from a
.pem file fails.
- Bug fix: An
open scripting command for FTP session with encrypted client certificate without passphrase but with password is silently ignored.
- Bug fix: Assertions in Pascal code were present in release binaries.
- Bug fix: “Browse for folder” icon in installer overlaps labels on high DPI.
- Bug fix: Installer images did not scale correctly
- Authentication with TLS/SSL client certificates. 921
- Redesigned Progress and Synchronization progress windows.
- WebDAV file locking. 1315
- Opening the initial Login dialog over the main window.
- Automatic updates (for donors only).
- Updates are checked over an encrypted HTTPS connection.
- Showing tips on using the application.
- Improvements and fixes for large font/high DPI environments:
- Toolbar, menu and dialog images for 125%, 150% and 200% zooms (120, 144, and 192 DPI respectively). 1302
- Scaling toolbar drop downs.
- Scaling menu and toolbar details (submenu arrows, drop down arrows, drag handles, checkmarks, radio-button marks, color palettes).
- Scaling status bars on Synchronization checklist and Find windows.
- Scaling drop down button arrows.
- Correctly scaling file icon on Properties dialog.
- Scaling application icon on About dialog.
- Scaling images in installer.
- New application icon sizes.
- New installer icon sizes.
- New desktop icon sizes for site, site folder and workspace.
- New Console, Editor, Log, Find and Synchronization checklist windows icon sizes.
- Scaling icon overlays.
- Own scaled icons for message boxes.
- Using scalable system window resize grip.
- Preventing system from scaling windows when moving them between displays with a different DPI.
- Scaling Synchronization checklist action column.
- Scaling menu lists.
- Scaling hint window.
- Scaling Up/Down buttons width on numerical inputs.
- SSH core upgraded to PuTTY 0.66.
- Improved transfer speed:
- with SFTP and SCP protocols when CPU is limiting factor.
- with SFTP on high latency connections. 1295
- Improvements to scripting, command-line and .NET assembly:
- Change: Script file has to be in UTF-8 encoding.
- Command-line interface for converting and editing private keys. 1331
- Script or .NET assembly code template can be generated in GUI.
- Allowing manual verification (with timeout) of SSH hostkey/TLS certificate in batch mode in scripting.
Session.EnumerateRemoteFiles method that can enumerate remote files and directories recursively. 1356
put commands to transfer the latest file only.
- Added a
FullName property to the
- Resume and Append (
TransferOptions.OverwriteMode) in .NET assembly. 1358
open command in scripting can open FileZilla stored site.
- Showing full
open command syntax suggestion, when using saved site in batch script.
- Change: The
RemoteFileInfo.Name now contains a name only, even for a
RemoteFileInfo instance returned by the
- Added properties
Session.CombinePaths utility method as remote path equivalent of
Session.TranslateRemotePathToLocal to generate a local path equivalent of a remote path, given root paths.
- Supporting impersonated IIS environment with .NET assembly. 1334
- Protocol prefix
ftpes:// for FTP over explicit TLS/SSL.
- Change: Deprecating
Session.DefaultConfiguration in favor of
SessionOptions.SshPrivateKeyPassphrase renamed to
- Not re-reading XML log when end of the file is reached to optimize performance. 1287
/loglevel documented in usage.
- Removed deprecated .NET assembly options
- Warning when useless command-line parameters are specified in scripting.
- Not offering host key verification in scripting if configuration is not persistent.
- Suggesting use of
-hostkey switch in host key verification prompt in scripting.
- Session can be named using
/sessionname= command-line switch. 1373
- Resetting 10 seconds input timeout every time a key is pressed in scripting batch mode. 1347
- Optionally not closing the application after the last session closes. 857
- Optionally preserve timestamps of directories with SFTP protocol. 94
- Change: Interface theme is not configurable anymore. Only single theme is supported.
- Selected private key files in OpenSSH or ssh.com format can be automatically converted to PuTTY format. 22
- Allowing selection to start in the first column of file panel.
- Change: Change of language on run-time is not supported anymore.
- Session name (
!N) and port number (
!#) patterns for custom commands and terminal client path. 1346 1020
- Configurable internal editor font color and default background color. 1326
- Change: Using UTF-8 for strings (such as password) with SSH protocol. 1014
REST command to resume upload with FTP protocol. 552
- Incremental site search can be restricted to the beginning of site name only or expanded to other site fields. 1348
- Files can be dropped on queue list. 1281
- Including all at least 80% translations into installer. Informing user when incomplete language is selected when installing.
- Displaying Owner file property with WebDAV protocol.
- Save All function in Internal editor. 1327
- Masking out passwords when logging command-line. 1344
- TLS/SSL core upgraded to OpenSSL 1.0.2e.
- Installer upgraded to Inno Setup 5.5.6.
- Enabled IPv6 with FTP by default. 1310
- Support for long local paths when deleting local file. 1352
- Animation on Find dialog and Authentication progress window.
- Displaying mod_dav
- Reloading site list when opening Login dialog to open additional session. 1322
ssh:// URLs and opening them in PuTTY. 1305
- Optionally trimming VMS version numbers from filenames during transfer. 1312
- Caching fingerprints of last verified host keys so they can be used in Generate URL function on Login dialog already.
- Download/Upload and Delete command moved to Download/Upload submenu 1279 and Edit With menu moved to Edit submenu. Edit With submenu is newly available on Edit toolbar button.
- Added Download/Upload in Background commands to respective menus. 1280
- Keyboard shortcuts
Alt+D to focus Address toolbar (Explorer interface) or open bookmarks (Commander interface). 1303 Change: Shortcut of command Clear Selection changed to
- Commands to select/unselect all files with the same extension. 1286
-load argument of PuTTY before custom user arguments. 1351
- New image for Find command and dialog.
- New images in an installer.
- About dialog lists all current and past translators.
- Warning when transferring multiple files to same name. 1282
- Hint user about possible reasons of SFTP code 4 error. 1285
- Platform SDK is no longer required to build 64-bit drag&drop shell extension.
- Increasing initial/minimal SFTP transfer packet size.
- Improving layout of installer Completing page of for long translations.
- Display parent directory in file panel even if the server does not include it in directory listing. 1298
- Showing only folder, not files, on Progress window, when calculating transfer size.
- Avoid flickering busy mouse cursor while calculating transfer size or collecting changes for synchronization.
- Showing localized language name on description of Typical installation.
- Added icon for Cancel All queue command.
- Correcting labels and hints for color commands in an internal editor.
- Session color can be set to black.
- Not showing percentage progress for indeterminate Directory size calculation.
- Preferences window opens with focused navigation tree.
- When Cancel is pressed on Progress window before moving transfer to background finishes, transfer is canceled.
- Disabling Proceed to Background once Cancel is pressed on Progress window.
- Added icon for queue Speed command.
- Desktop icons created by an installer show application description.
- Not showing details about retrieving timezone information on Authentication progress window.
- Using delete icon on site/site folder/workspace delete confirmation prompts.
- Showing error message when neon library initialization fails.
- Prompt for username even with GSSAPI authentication enabled. 1349
- Providing error details when deleting a local file fails.
printenv instead of
echo to obtain a value of the
LANG environment variable. 1354
- Logging clear
Authorization header when password logging is enabled.
- Explaining that certificate cannot be verified against hostname if IP address is used to connect to the server. 1359
- Updated to JCL library 2.7.
- Using Save dialog instead of Open for selecting log file and random seed file paths.
- Icon on New version message.
- Minimize buttons on Console and Synchronization checklist windows enabled.
- Informing the user when a connection fails because an FTP connection was attempted to an SFTP server.
- Increase length limit of site note to 4000. 1372
- Wrapping too long entries in authentication log to avoid horizontal scrollbar.
- Disambiguated commands in Once Done/Empty menus. 1375
- Encoding all non-ASCII characters in URLs to allow posting bug report and searching for message using web browsers that do not default to UTF-8 encoding for URLs (like Internet Explorer).
- Wider menu spacing.
- Bug fix: Speed limit history is not relocalized when language is changed. 490
- Bug fix: Not showing symlinks to directories as a difference on synchronization checklist as they are not synchronized anyway.
- Bug fix: When restoring an application from minimization, progress windows did not get activated.
- Bug fix: Preventing active window title flickering before opening Preferences dialog.
- Bug fix: Failure when opening WebDAVS session, if SSPI initialization failed (such as when running under Wine).
- Bug fix: When window is closing, its icon is hidden momentarily.
- Bug fix: WebDAV redirect loop was not detected on the first redirect.
- Bug fix: Error when SFTP server responds to upload (write) requests out of order. 1365
- Bug fix: Duplicated ad-hoc session from workspace is wrongly named.
- Bug fix: Cannot work with filenames starting or ending with space with FTP protocol. 26
- Bug fix: Failure or broken synchronized browsing when changing directory while another command was executing already. 1369
- Bug fix: Showing a command of a custom command in status bar. 1370
- Bug fix: Commander panel ratio lost after swapping panels.
- Bug fix: Minimize buttons on Login and Find windows did not minimize the application.
- Bug fix: Failure when closing window while some command was executing.
- Bug fix: When Authentication window is resized smaller, prompts get truncated.
- Bug fix: URL is generated incorrectly for a file with a space in a path. 1374
- Bug fix: Failure when a local drive is removed. 1376
- Bug fix: For a stored site with special characters, it was not possible to open/duplicate a session in a new instance, desktop shortcut had wrong name and desktop shortcuts/jump list entries were not working.
- Bug fix: Failure when the current local directory is deleted while session is disconnected and synchronized browsing is enabled. 1378
- Bug fix: Failure when using Close all windows taskbar function with opened and active internal editor. 1377
5.7.7 (not released yet)
- Translation completed: Arabic.
- TLS/SSL core upgraded to OpenSSL 1.0.1r.
- Dual code signing binaries with both SHA-1 and SHA-256.
- Bug fix: Failure when Progress window closes (transfer finishes) while Once done drop down menu is opened. 1379
- Bug fix: Too long automatic bug reports were rejected.
- Bug fix: File masks with time constraints do not work with remote WebDAV files. 1389
- Translation completed: Spanish.
- Upgraded private key tools (PuTTYgen and Pageant) to 0.65.
- Workaround for ProFTPD using
cdir type in
MLST response when retrieving listing for a current working directory. 1350
- Workaround for FTP servers that incorrectly use RFC 2228-style response to
MLST command. 1360
- Perform TLS/SSL handshake on transfer connection immediately when connected to Idea FTP server (home.pl). 1357
- Recognize WebDAV folder by trailing slash in its path, if the server does not provide
DAV:collection tag. 1362
Session.Output size not to waste memory with large sessions. 1367
- Bug fix: Failure when spinning a mouse wheel over a Find/Replace dialogs of Internal editor. 1353
- Bug fix: Failure when dropping files from application that fails to provide
- Bug fix: Failure when Windows session is closing while no session is connected. 1363
- Bug fix: Cannot download root folder from an FTP server that does not support
MDTM commands. 1364
- Bug fix: Queue setting on Copy dialog is lost when different transfer setting preset is selected.
- Bug fix: File timestamps are incorrectly adjusted for autodetected positive timezone difference. 1366
- Translation completed: Catalan.
- TLS/SSL core upgraded to OpenSSL 1.0.1p.
- Supporting the RFC 4419 revision to Diffie-Hellman group exchange. 1345 rfc4419
- Workaround for Cerberus SFTP server incorrectly indicating end of directory listing. 1338
- SHA-256 hash of binaries provided in release notes.
- Aligning Save button with Edit button on Login dialog.
- Bug fix: Failure or timeout when Execute button on Console window was clicked while another command was executing already. 1339
- Bug fix: Switches do not work with aliases to scripting commands. 1340
- Bug fix: Failure when trying to manipulate files in nonexisting directory in “batch continue” scripting mode. 1314
- Bug fix: It was not possible to configure Timezone offset for SCP protocol. 1343
- Bug fix: When timezone difference is autodetected with legacy FTP server, timestamp precision is not taken into account when comparing timestamps (e.g. for synchronization). 1342
- Translations completed: French and Ukrainian.
- TLS/SSL core upgraded to OpenSSL 1.0.1o.
- Not using directory include masks recursively when finding files. 1329
- Recognizing UTF-8 encoded localized German month names in FTP
LIST command results. 1328
- Bug fix: Relative path of find results is shown incorrectly when finding from root folder. 1330
- Bug fix: Failure when switching sessions with session log window opened. 1333
- Bug fix: Session and log file information on Log window is not updated when switching session.
- Bug fix: Reference to parent WebDAV directory shows incorrectly when a name of the current folder includes special characters. 1335
- Bug fix: History of some inputs is not saved. 1336
- Bug fix: Incorrect behavior when retrying connection after listing of initial remote directory fails.
- Bug fix: When panel drive/path comboxes box do not cover whole toolbar height, the change Drive/Directory command do not work.
- Using FTP command
SIZE in binary mode. 1292
- Optionally determining local file icon by extension only. 1325
- Ensuring that sessions to be opened in a new window do not get actually opened back in the existing window.
- Bug fix: SFTP transfers fail occasionally. 1321
- Bug fix: Controls occasionally do not align correctly after restoring maximized window from minimization. 1309
- Bug fix: Embedded session is not opened. 1311
- Bug fix: SCP session breaks when an output includes a null character. 1313
- Bug fix: Error retrieving file attributes with FTP protocol when the path is given with trailing slash. 1314
- Bug fix: Sort arrow was shown on unsortable Find dialog.
- Bug fix: File mask with size constraint over 4 GB does not work. 1318
- Bug fix: When dragging files from local panel to local tree, status bar is not updated. 1319
- Bug fix: Local directory tree does not show newly created folder. 1320
- Bug fix: Local directory tree stops reflecting changes after creating new folder.
- Bug fix: Failure when HTTPS WebDAV URL redirects to HTTP. 1323
- Bug fix: Certificate validation fails, when HTTP WebDAV URL redirects to HTTPS.
- Bug fix: Some redirected WebDAVS connection error messages show original host name instead of the actual host name.
- Bug fix: WebDAVS certificate failure override for redirected session is stored for original host name.
- Bug fix: During file transfers on FTP servers that do not support
MLSD command, file details are not provided on overwrite confirmation prompt and transfer progress is not shown correctly. 1324
- Bug fix: Edit commands on all Internal editors reflect state of the currently focused editor, instead of their editor.
- Reporting relative addresses in stack trace.
- Bug fix: SFTP/SCP transfers occasionally time out. 1306
- Bug fix: Fail gracefully when internal command generated by WinSCP .NET assembly is too long. 1297
- Bug fix: Failure when “downloading and deleting” an empty remote directory with .NET assembly. 1299
- Bug fix: When overwriting configuration export, new configuration is appended, instead of replacing the previous export. 1300
- Bug fix: When listing WebDAV directory using relative path, the listing includes a reference to the directory itself. 1301
- Bug fix: Failure when pressing help icon while no control has focus. 1304
- Bug fix: Failure when closing log window during activity.
- Bug fix: Incorrect encoding of SSH_FXP_REALPATH. 1308
- Translations added: Croatian, Finnish, Korean and Polish.
- Upgraded private key tools (PuTTYgen and Pageant) to 0.64.
- TLS/SSL core upgraded to OpenSSL 1.0.1m.
- Not requiring confirmation when canceling an operation.
- Import of Base64-encoded passwords from FileZilla.
- Progress window uses Skip button instead of Cancel when calculating transfer size. 1296
- Workaround for ProFTPD/mod_sftp bug in SSH_FXP_REALPATH handling with SFTP version 6. 1289
- Not asking for master password repeatedly when opening Generate URL dialog. Not asking at all unless user chooses to include password into URL.
- More space for information about translators.
- Bug fix: Back-propagated SSH security fixes from PuTTY 0.64.1) private-key-not-wiped-2 diffie-hellman-range-check
- Bug fix: Failure when working with stored sites when a temporary hidden site for interprocess communication is not properly removed.
- Bug fix: Overwrite confirmation prompt displays name of source file instead of target file, when file name changes, with SFTP, SCP and WebDAV protocols. 1290
- Bug fix: Transfer was not resumed after moving the transfer to the background when source and target file name differs with FTP protocol.
- Bug fix: Failure when trying to open another externally initiated session while externally initiated session is opening.
- Bug fix: It is not possible to configure certificate accepting with WebDAV protocol in .NET assembly. 1284
- Bug fix: User and group name is not decoded properly from UTF-8 encoding with SFTP version 3 and older. 1288
- Bug fix: When calculating size of files to transfer is canceled, not using the incomplete results to estimate transfer progress.
- Bug fix: When local custom command is applied to a remote folder, it is unconditionally uploaded back after the command finishes. 1294
- Bug fix: Calculation of transfer size could not be moved to background.
Users upgrading from WinSCP 5.5.6 can read more about WinSCP 5.7 - What's New?
- Translations added: Czech, Dutch, German, Italian, Japanese, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Swedish and Turkish.
- Requesting FTP directory listing fields using
OPTS MLST, if the server does not provide all needed fields by default. 1267
- Support for
MD5 FTP command.
winscp.exe is included in .NET assembly package.
- Logging level and password logging can be set on command-line using
- Logging parsed command-line and script command parameters on Debug 1 level.
- Size of connection receiving buffer increased. 1273
- TLS/SSL core upgraded to OpenSSL 1.0.1l.
- Reducing amount of detailed information shown on Authentication Progress window for FTP sessions.
- Adjusting message box size for icons scaled on Windows 8.1 and newer.
- Not using drag images. 1274
- Logging processes and performance counters in .NET assembly debug log, only when
- Not logging value of
-passphrase switch of
open command. 1277
- Bug fix: After several unsuccessful reconnects a resumed FTP file download starts from an initial remote folder, instead of correct source folder. 1268
- Bug fix: When sorting local files modified at the same time by modification time, sort direction is not considered when falling back to sorting by filename. 1269
- Bug fix: Command could be invoked in the middle of creating directory or navigating. 1272
- Bug fix: It was possible to drop on a file with drop handler in local panel with enabled drag&drop shell extension, although it cannot work with drop handlers.
- Bug fix: Failure when dropping on a file with drop handler in local panel with disabled drag&drop shell extension.
- Bug fix: Failure when running in a restricted environment. 1276
- Bug fix: Confirmation button on Read to Install and Finished installing installer screens was incorrectly labeled Next.
- Bug fix: Order of sessions in workspace with more than 10 sessions is not preserved. 1278
- Local custom commands can optionally be executed with remote file paths. 510
- TLS/SSL core upgraded to OpenSSL 1.0.1k. Fixing several security defects.
Session.CalculateFileChecksum method returns a byte array instead of a string to match .NET framework cryptography functions.
- Never doing transfer via temporary file when overwriting a file known to be owned by another user. 1260
- Never automatically refresh a file panel while menu is opened or file is being dragged. 1262
- Loading files ownership before showing Properties when connected to Bitvise SFTP server.
- Meaningful error message when a cipher or a key-exchange algorithm is not verified.
- Using term “Sleep” instead of “Suspend” as used by Windows Vista and newer.
- Bug fix: Location profile folders are duplicated. 1259
- Bug fix: Command could be invoked while keeping session up to date. 1263
- Bug fix: Wrong syntax of SHA-1 cipher name in
checksum command help.
- Bug fix: Default configuration was recreated after user chose to cleanup configuration during uninstallation.
- Bug fix: Failure in scripting one some rare prompts. 1264
- Bug fix: Failure when file panel autorefresh is triggered while directory is being read. 1265
- Bug fix: Could not connect to FTP server over a proxy with Force IP address for passive mode connections set to On. 1266