Recent Version History
This is a list of changes for each release of WinSCP. See also project history.
5.8 (not released yet)
- Authentication with TLS/SSL client certificates. 921
- Redesigned Progress and Synchronization progress windows.
- WebDAV file locking. 1315
- Opening the initial Login dialog over the main window.
- Automatic updates (for donors only).
- Updates are checked over an encrypted HTTPS connection.
- Showing tips on using the application.
- Improvements and fixes for large font/high DPI environments:
- Toolbar, menu and dialog images for 125%, 150% and 200% zooms (120, 144, and 192 DPI respectively). 1302
- Scaling toolbar drop downs.
- Scaling menu and toolbar details (submenu arrows, drop down arrows, drag handles, checkmarks, radio-button marks, color palettes).
- Scaling status bars on Synchronization checklist and Find windows.
- Scaling drop down button arrows.
- Correctly scaling file icon on Properties dialog.
- Scaling application icon on About dialog.
- Scaling images in installer.
- New application icon sizes.
- New installer icon sizes.
- New desktop icon sizes for site, site folder and workspace.
- New Console, Editor, Log, Find and Synchronization checklist windows icon sizes.
- Scaling icon overlays.
- Own scaled icons for message boxes.
- Using scalable system window resize grip.
- Preventing system from scaling windows when moving them between displays with a different DPI.
- Scaling Synchronization checklist action column.
- SSH core upgraded to PuTTY 0.66.
- Improved transfer speed:
- with SFTP and SCP protocols when CPU is limiting factor.
- with SFTP on high latency connections. 1295
- Improvements to scripting, command-line and .NET assembly:
- Change: Script file has to be in UTF-8 encoding.
- Command-line interface for converting and editing private keys. 1331
- Script or .NET assembly code template can be generated in GUI.
- Allowing manual verification (with timeout) of SSH hostkey/TLS certificate in batch mode in scripting.
Session.EnumerateRemoteFiles method that can enumerate remote files and directories recursively. 1356
put commands to transfer the latest file only.
- Added a
FullName property to the
- Resume and Append (
TransferOptions.OverwriteMode) in .NET assembly. 1358
open command in scripting can open FileZilla stored site.
- Showing full
open command syntax suggestion, when using saved site in batch script.
- Change: The
RemoteFileInfo.Name now contains a name only, even for a
RemoteFileInfo instance returned by the
- Added properties
Session.CombinePaths utility method as remote path equivalent of
Session.TranslateRemotePathToLocal to generate a local path equivalent of a remote path, given root paths.
- Change: Deprecating
Session.DefaultConfiguration in favor of
- Not re-reading XML log when end of the file is reached to optimize performance. 1287
/loglevel documented in usage.
- Removed deprecated .NET assembly options
- Warning when useless command-line parameters are specified in scripting.
- Not offering host key verification in scripting if configuration is not persistent.
- Suggesting use of
-hostkey switch in host key verification prompt in scripting.
- Optionally not closing the application after the last session closes. 857
- Optionally preserve timestamps of directories with SFTP protocol. 94
- Selected private key files in OpenSSH or ssh.com format can be automatically converted to PuTTY format. 22
- Allowing selection to start in the first column of file panel.
- Change: Change of language on run-time is not supported anymore.
- Session name (
!N) and port number (
!#) patterns for custom commands and terminal client path. 1346 1020
- Configurable internal editor font color and default background color. 1326
- Change: Using UTF-8 for strings (such as password) with SSH protocol. 1014
REST command to resume upload with FTP protocol. 552
- Incremental site search can be restricted to the beginning of site name only or expanded to other site fields. 1348
- Supporting impersonated IIS environment with .NET assembly. 1334
- Files can be dropped on queue list. 1281
- Including all at least 80% translations into installer. Informing user when incomplete language is selected when installing.
- Displaying Owner file property with WebDAV protocol.
- Save All function in Internal editor. 1327
- Masking out passwords when logging command-line. 1344
- TLS/SSL core upgraded to OpenSSL 1.0.2d.
- Installer upgraded to Inno Setup 5.5.6.
- Enabled IPv6 with FTP by default. 1310
- Support for long local paths when deleting local file. 1352
- Animation on Find dialog and Authentication progress window.
- Displaying mod_dav
- Reloading site list when opening Login dialog to open additional session. 1322
ssh:// URLs and opening them in PuTTY. 1305
- Resetting 10 seconds input timeout every time a key is pressed in scripting batch mode. 1347
- Optionally trimming VMS version numbers from filenames during transfer. 1312
- Caching fingerprints of last verified host keys so they can be used in Generate URL function on Login dialog already.
- Download/Upload and Delete command moved to Download/Upload submenu 1279 and Edit With menu moved to Edit submenu. Edit With submenu is newly available on Edit toolbar button.
- Added Download/Upload in Background commands to respective menus. 1280
- Keyboard shortcuts
Alt+D to focus Address toolbar (Explorer interface) or open bookmarks (Commander interface). 1303 Change: Shortcut of command Clear Selection changed to
- Commands to select/unselect all files with the same extension. 1286
-load argument of PuTTY before custom user arguments. 1351
- New icon for Find command and dialog.
- About dialog lists all current and past translators.
- Warning when transferring multiple files to same name. 1282
- Hint user about possible reasons of SFTP code 4 error. 1285
- Platform SDK is no longer required to build 64-bit drag&drop shell extension.
- Increasing initial/minimal SFTP transfer packet size.
- Improving layout of installer Completing page of for long translations.
- Display parent directory in file panel even if the server does not include it in directory listing. 1298
- Showing only folder, not files, on Progress window, when calculating transfer size.
- Avoid flickering busy mouse cursor while calculating transfer size or collecting changes for synchronization.
- Showing localized language name on description of Typical installation.
- Added icon for Cancel All queue command.
- Correcting labels and hints for color commands in an internal editor.
- Session color can be set to black.
- Not showing percentage progress for indeterminate Directory size calculation.
- Preferences window opens with focused navigation tree.
- When Cancel is pressed on Progress window before moving transfer to background finishes, transfer is canceled.
- Disabling Proceed to Background once Cancel is pressed on Progress window.
- Added icon for queue Speed command.
- Desktop icons created by an installer show application description.
- Not showing details about retrieving timezone information on Authentication progress window.
- Using delete icon on site/site folder/workspace delete confirmation prompts.
- Showing error message when neon library initialization fails.
- Prompt for username even with GSSAPI authentication enabled. 1349
- Providing error details when deleting a local file fails.
printenv instead of
echo to obtain a value of the
LANG environment variable. 1354
- Logging clear
Authorization header when password logging is enabled.
- Explaining that certificate cannot be verified against hostname if IP address is used to connect to the server. 1359
- Updated to JCL library 2.7.
- Using Save dialog instead of Open for selecting log file and random seed file paths.
- Icon on New version message.
- Bug fix: Speed limit history is not relocalized when language is changed. 490
- Bug fix: Not showing symlinks to directories as a difference on synchronization checklist as they are not synchronized anyway.
- Bug fix: When restoring an application from minimization, progress windows did not get activated.
- Bug fix: Preventing active window title flickering before opening Preferences dialog.
- Bug fix: Failure when opening WebDAVS session, if SSPI initialization failed (such as when running under Wine).
- Bug fix: When window is closing, its icon is hidden momentarily.
- Bug fix: WebDAV redirect loop was not detected on the first redirect.
- Bug fix: Error when SFTP server responds to upload (write) requests out of order. 1365
- Bug fix: Duplicated ad-hoc session from workspace is wrongly named.
- Bug fix: Cannot work with filenames starting or ending with space with FTP protocol. 26
- Bug fix: Failure or broken synchronized browsing when changing directory while another command was executing already. 1369
- Bug fix: Showing a command of a custom command in status bar. 1370
- Bug fix: Commander panel ratio lost after swapping panels.
- Translation completed: Spanish.
- Upgraded private key tools (PuTTYgen and Pageant) to 0.65.
- Workaround for ProFTPD using
cdir type in
MLST response when retrieving listing for a current working directory. 1350
- Workaround for FTP servers that incorrectly use RFC 2228-style response to
MLST command. 1360
- Perform TLS/SSL handshake on transfer connection immediately when connected to Idea FTP server (home.pl). 1357
- Recognize WebDAV folder by trailing slash in its path, if the server does not provide
DAV:collection tag. 1362
Session.Output size not to waste memory with large sessions. 1367
- Bug fix: Failure when spinning a mouse wheel over a Find/Replace dialogs of Internal editor. 1353
- Bug fix: Failure when dropping files from application that fails to provide
- Bug fix: Failure when Windows session is closing while no session is connected. 1363
- Bug fix: Cannot download root folder from an FTP server that does not support
MDTM commands. 1364
- Bug fix: Queue setting on Copy dialog is lost when different transfer setting preset is selected.
- Bug fix: File timestamps are incorrectly adjusted for autodetected positive timezone difference. 1366
- Translation completed: Catalan.
- TLS/SSL core upgraded to OpenSSL 1.0.1p.
- Supporting the RFC 4419 revision to Diffie-Hellman group exchange. 1345 rfc4419
- Workaround for Cerberus SFTP server incorrectly indicating end of directory listing. 1338
- SHA-256 hash of binaries provided in release notes.
- Aligning Save button with Edit button on Login dialog.
- Bug fix: Failure or timeout when Execute button on Console window was clicked while another command was executing already. 1339
- Bug fix: Switches do not work with aliases to scripting commands. 1340
- Bug fix: Failure when trying to manipulate files in nonexisting directory in “batch continue” scripting mode. 1314
- Bug fix: It was not possible to configure Timezone offset for SCP protocol. 1343
- Bug fix: When timezone difference is autodetected with legacy FTP server, timestamp precision is not taken into account when comparing timestamps (e.g. for synchronization). 1342
- Translations completed: French and Ukrainian.
- TLS/SSL core upgraded to OpenSSL 1.0.1o.
- Not using directory include masks recursively when finding files. 1329
- Recognizing UTF-8 encoded localized German month names in FTP
LIST command results. 1328
- Bug fix: Relative path of find results is shown incorrectly when finding from root folder. 1330
- Bug fix: Failure when switching sessions with session log window opened. 1333
- Bug fix: Session and log file information on Log window is not updated when switching session.
- Bug fix: Reference to parent WebDAV directory shows incorrectly when a name of the current folder includes special characters. 1335
- Bug fix: History of some inputs is not saved. 1336
- Bug fix: Incorrect behavior when retrying connection after listing of initial remote directory fails.
- Bug fix: When panel drive/path comboxes box do not cover whole toolbar height, the change Drive/Directory command do not work.
- Using FTP command
SIZE in binary mode. 1292
- Optionally determining local file icon by extension only. 1325
- Ensuring that sessions to be opened in a new window do not get actually opened back in the existing window.
- Bug fix: SFTP transfers fail occasionally. 1321
- Bug fix: Controls occasionally do not align correctly after restoring maximized window from minimization. 1309
- Bug fix: Embedded session is not opened. 1311
- Bug fix: SCP session breaks when an output includes a null character. 1313
- Bug fix: Error retrieving file attributes with FTP protocol when the path is given with trailing slash. 1314
- Bug fix: Sort arrow was shown on unsortable Find dialog.
- Bug fix: File mask with size constraint over 4 GB does not work. 1318
- Bug fix: When dragging files from local panel to local tree, status bar is not updated. 1319
- Bug fix: Local directory tree does not show newly created folder. 1320
- Bug fix: Local directory tree stops reflecting changes after creating new folder.
- Bug fix: Failure when HTTPS WebDAV URL redirects to HTTP. 1323
- Bug fix: Certificate validation fails, when HTTP WebDAV URL redirects to HTTPS.
- Bug fix: Some redirected WebDAVS connection error messages show original host name instead of the actual host name.
- Bug fix: WebDAVS certificate failure override for redirected session is stored for original host name.
- Bug fix: During file transfers on FTP servers that do not support
MLSD command, file details are not provided on overwrite confirmation prompt and transfer progress is not shown correctly. 1324
- Bug fix: Edit commands on all Internal editors reflect state of the currently focused editor, instead of their editor.
- Reporting relative addresses in stack trace.
- Bug fix: SFTP/SCP transfers occasionally time out. 1306
- Bug fix: Fail gracefully when internal command generated by WinSCP .NET assembly is too long. 1297
- Bug fix: Failure when “downloading and deleting” an empty remote directory with .NET assembly. 1299
- Bug fix: When overwriting configuration export, new configuration is appended, instead of replacing the previous export. 1300
- Bug fix: When listing WebDAV directory using relative path, the listing includes a reference to the directory itself. 1301
- Bug fix: Failure when pressing help icon while no control has focus. 1304
- Bug fix: Failure when closing log window during activity.
- Bug fix: Incorrect encoding of SSH_FXP_REALPATH. 1308
- Translations added: Croatian, Finnish, Korean and Polish.
- Upgraded private key tools (PuTTYgen and Pageant) to 0.64.
- TLS/SSL core upgraded to OpenSSL 1.0.1m.
- Not requiring confirmation when canceling an operation.
- Import of Base64-encoded passwords from FileZilla.
- Progress window uses Skip button instead of Cancel when calculating transfer size. 1296
- Workaround for ProFTPD/mod_sftp bug in SSH_FXP_REALPATH handling with SFTP version 6. 1289
- Not asking for master password repeatedly when opening Generate URL dialog. Not asking at all unless user chooses to include password into URL.
- More space for information about translators.
- Bug fix: Back-propagated SSH security fixes from PuTTY 0.64.1) private-key-not-wiped-2 diffie-hellman-range-check
- Bug fix: Failure when working with stored sites when a temporary hidden site for interprocess communication is not properly removed.
- Bug fix: Overwrite confirmation prompt displays name of source file instead of target file, when file name changes, with SFTP, SCP and WebDAV protocols. 1290
- Bug fix: Transfer was not resumed after moving the transfer to the background when source and target file name differs with FTP protocol.
- Bug fix: Failure when trying to open another externally initiated session while externally initiated session is opening.
- Bug fix: It is not possible to configure certificate accepting with WebDAV protocol in .NET assembly. 1284
- Bug fix: User and group name is not decoded properly from UTF-8 encoding with SFTP version 3 and older. 1288
- Bug fix: When calculating size of files to transfer is canceled, not using the incomplete results to estimate transfer progress.
- Bug fix: When local custom command is applied to a remote folder, it is unconditionally uploaded back after the command finishes. 1294
- Bug fix: Calculation of transfer size could not be moved to background.
Users upgrading from WinSCP 5.5.6 can read more about WinSCP 5.7 - What's New?
- Translations added: Czech, Dutch, German, Italian, Japanese, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Swedish and Turkish.
- Requesting FTP directory listing fields using
OPTS MLST, if the server does not provide all needed fields by default. 1267
- Support for
MD5 FTP command.
winscp.exe is included in .NET assembly package.
- Logging level and password logging can be set on command-line using
- Logging parsed command-line and script command parameters on Debug 1 level.
- Size of connection receiving buffer increased. 1273
- TLS/SSL core upgraded to OpenSSL 1.0.1l.
- Reducing amount of detailed information shown on Authentication Progress window for FTP sessions.
- Adjusting message box size for icons scaled on Windows 8.1 and newer.
- Not using drag images. 1274
- Logging processes and performance counters in .NET assembly debug log, only when
- Not logging value of
-passphrase switch of
open command. 1277
- Bug fix: After several unsuccessful reconnects a resumed FTP file download starts from an initial remote folder, instead of correct source folder. 1268
- Bug fix: When sorting local files modified at the same time by modification time, sort direction is not considered when falling back to sorting by filename. 1269
- Bug fix: Command could be invoked in the middle of creating directory or navigating. 1272
- Bug fix: It was possible to drop on a file with drop handler in local panel with enabled drag&drop shell extension, although it cannot work with drop handlers.
- Bug fix: Failure when dropping on a file with drop handler in local panel with disabled drag&drop shell extension.
- Bug fix: Failure when running in a restricted environment. 1276
- Bug fix: Confirmation button on Read to Install and Finished installing installer screens was incorrectly labeled Next.
- Bug fix: Order of sessions in workspace with more than 10 sessions is not preserved. 1278
- Local custom commands can optionally be executed with remote file paths. 510
- TLS/SSL core upgraded to OpenSSL 1.0.1k. Fixing several security defects.
Session.CalculateFileChecksum method returns a byte array instead of a string to match .NET framework cryptography functions.
- Never doing transfer via temporary file when overwriting a file known to be owned by another user. 1260
- Never automatically refresh a file panel while menu is opened or file is being dragged. 1262
- Loading files ownership before showing Properties when connected to Bitvise SFTP server.
- Meaningful error message when a cipher or a key-exchange algorithm is not verified.
- Using term “Sleep” instead of “Suspend” as used by Windows Vista and newer.
- Bug fix: Location profile folders are duplicated. 1259
- Bug fix: Command could be invoked while keeping session up to date. 1263
- Bug fix: Wrong syntax of SHA-1 cipher name in
checksum command help.
- Bug fix: Default configuration was recreated after user chose to cleanup configuration during uninstallation.
- Bug fix: Failure in scripting one some rare prompts. 1264
- Bug fix: Failure when file panel autorefresh is triggered while directory is being read. 1265
- Bug fix: Could not connect to FTP server over a proxy with Force IP address for passive mode connections set to On. 1266
- Automatic reconnect during listing of remote directory. 25
- Remembering the last working directories in a workspace. 1165
- Improvements to calculating remote file checksum:
- Checksum support for FTP using
XCRC commands. 1242
- File checksum can be calculated in scripting (
checksum command and XML log entry) and .NET assembly (
Session.CalculateFileChecksum method). 1246
- Using IANA checksum algorithm names.
- Calculate checksum button on Properties dialog becomes the default button when Algorithm box has focus.
XQUOTA commands to retrieve information about space available of FTP server.
- Home path can be resolved in .NET assembly using
- Site tree on Login dialog responds to mouse wheel even when not focused. 846
- Custom command pattern
!S that expands to session URL.
SessionOptions.ParseUrl method in .NET assembly.
- Cancel all command for Background transfer queue list. 602
- Supporting IIS WebDAV
Translate header to allow downloading source files and files with unknown MIME type. 1255
- Supporting FTP
HOST command (RFC 7151). 1166
- Keep remote directory up to date dialog can be minimized to tray, even when minimizing to taskbar is used for the application.
- Prolonging countdown instead of suspending it when moving mouse over message box with “timeout” button. 1107
- File ownership is available in .NET assembly and XML log. 1245
- Improved automatic sizing of columns in various lists.
- Items with unknown value on Space available tab of Server and protocol information dialog are shown dimmed.
- Change: Considering directories to have zero size, when matching file masks or sorting by size, even when the server reports size for the directory, to achieve consistent behavior.
- Further compatibility improvements with FTP servers:
- Workaround for malformed
FEAT response of older versions of IIS FTP Server and WS_FTP server.
- Bug fix: Cannot upload file to directory when FTP server returns 4xx/5xx response to directory listing request after allowing (typically empty) listing transfer (old versions of IIS FTP server). 1249
FtpSecure.ExplicitTls .NET assembly option with
FtpSecure.Explicit and deprecated
- Using Yes/No, instead of OK/Cancel on sites import confirmation during installation not to make an impression that rejecting the import cancels the installation.
- Logging when a symlink to a directory is skipped while downloading.
- Using standard formatting of IPv6 literals in session URL (instead of URL-encoding them).
- Displaying hint when
F5 keyboard shortcut is used for the first time on Commander interface. 1254
- Bug fix: Parameters
/batchsettings were not working with
- Bug fix: Command could be invoked using keyboard shortcut in the middle of reloading directory. 1256
- Bug fix: Reason not given when FTP upload fails because local file attributes cannot be retrieved. 1250
- Bug fix: FTP upload fails when volume information for local drive cannot be retrieved. 1251
- Bug fix: Size of directories was reported as -1 for some FTP servers.
- Bug fix: Invalid stored FTP password was tried indefinitely in a loop. 1252
- Bug fix: Ad-hoc session duplicated to a new window had no name.
- Bug fix: Failure when dropping files to an external application via a temporary directory with an automatic refresh of a remote directory enabled. 1253
- Bug fix: Pasting permissions when Octal box has focus does not update the box itself. 1257
- Bug fix: Mouse cursor is hidden when hovering over progress window during download via temporary directory. 1258
- Improved GUI responsiveness (with SFTP, SCP and FTP protocols). 1237
- Sites can be mass-modified using
/batchsettings command-line parameter. 1236
- Use default transfer mode for edited files, except when using Notepad. 1239
- Added method
Session.AddRawConfiguration to configure any global configuration option. 876
- Optionally logging even sensitive information (such as passwords).
- Consistently logging transferred bytes for every transferred file.
- Improving protection from undesired modifications of local files when handling URLs from browser while relieving restriction on combining URLs on command line with some switches, such as
failonnomatch option applies also to
lls command. 1172
-explicittls command-line parameter and switch of
open command with
-explicit and deprecated
lls by default only displays a notification that no matching file is found, instead of failing.
- Differentiating unknown private key format and non-existing/non-readable private key file errors.
- Bug fix: Session cannot be opened when
Session.AddRawSettings is used. 1234
- Bug fix: Failure when connecting to WebDAV server not supporting persistent connections. 1235
- Bug fix: Keepalives were turned off when overriding site settings with raw settings.
- Bug fix: Parameter
/rawconfig was not documented in usage.
- Bug fix: The Use default system editor button is misplaced on (ad-hoc) Editor dialog.
- Bug fix: Synchronization checklist window could be resized too small not to fit Custom button.
- Bug fix: The last file upload before creating a remote directory is not reported with .NET assembly. 1238
- Bug fix: Progress bar not appearing on task bar when main window is not visible. 1240
- Bug fix: Overwrite confirmation was required when changing case of site name.
- Bug fix: Failure when copying multiple files checksum results to clipboard. 1243
- Bug fix: Large sizes are displayed incorrectly. 1244